smart coyotes!

i live in southern manitoba, been calling for the past 4 days, and no coyotes, high population of coyotes around, low populations of people. I've been hunting the bush north of my farm, and the farm and sloughs south of my around, miles and miles of premium coyote spots, lots of track, scat, urine, but no [beeep] coyotes coming to the call!. i get answer to the howler right at dusk, but calling all day using distress calls and howls from the fox pro [beeep] fire, but nothing wants dinner or loving. i always watch my wind, fully snow camoed when need. i need help!! why is there no coyotes coming in? distress rabbit is mostly what i use, and howls, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would think your coyotes would be in full mating mode by now. Eating rabbits is not number one on their agenda. You say you always watch your wind; does that mean you call into the wind, quartering with the wind, etc.?

I'm always facing the wind or cross wind every stand, thats my number one thing that i watch closely. i believe the coyotes around here breed mid january-mid feb, i could be wrong, as I've seen pairs around here and there, but also singles. thanks for the replies!

I like calling quartering with the wind. I want them coming downwind of the ecaller, not downwind of me. Works for me but maybe not for you. Coyotes are a lot quicker to respond if they can get the wind fairly easily.

I think alot of people relay on a electronic caller. I have them but still shoot more animals with my mouth call. I can put alot more emotion in my hand call. You cant do that with a electronic call. Guys tell me when im calling with a mouth call it sounds like im begging a animal to come in and check me out. Its to easy to turn it on and just let it play. Try a mouth call,blow it till your winded. For me its about 40 sec. Then I wait till I catch my wind. Again that takes maybe 4 or 5 min. Then I do it again.One thing I have noticed to is with a mouth call you can turn your head and it maskes the call so it sounds like the animals is really dieing.
Thats my 2 cents

If you call in more coyotes with mouth calls, you should use them. I suspect you may call too much with your ecaller which could cause you problems. I like using both mouth calls and the ecaller. Placing and using the ecaller properly can sure increase your success ratio. The late Rich Cronk was about as good with a mouth call as anyone you could find, but he realized the big advantage to using the ecaller.

i use mouth calls now and then but i definitely do rely on my foxpro, finallly called in a small dog last night 40 minutes before dark, .223 put it down hard at 175 yards. had another one barking at me at the next stand but wouldn't show up, took me all day to get that one dog in, hunting in great stops for coyotes, ill try using mouth calls a bit more to see if that works,

Al: ill try having the wind quartering with me, making it easier for the yotes get down wind of the calls. most the time i do hunt facing the wind which maybe has an effect of the coyotes comfort of the call.

thanks for the replies guys! much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: possumalI would think your coyotes would be in full mating mode by now. Eating rabbits is not number one on their agenda. You say you always watch your wind; does that mean you call into the wind, quartering with the wind, etc.?

Nope...not for 3 more weeks at the earliest!!

Weather is WAY too warm up here the last 3 weeks. They're really not hungry as they haven't had to work for food yet.

Give it a couple more weeks and they should start responding to howls/mating calls.

I'm hoping it cools off soon...all this darn freezing rain and no snow sure make for poor coyote hunting, and ski-dooing, snowshoeing etc.

Back