oal question

reaper4

just want to ask a quick question. I am reloading some new federal brass that comes trimmed at about 1.740 i know thats a bit short and i want to do some load testing on some new 50gr. balistic tips. if i seat them at mag length is there still enough bullet in the case? and if anyone has any pet loads to look out for with benchmark it would be much appreciated. i know my loads will usually not be yours but i like to see what everyone is shooting and compare groups

One rule of thumb mentioned is seating the bullets at least to a bullet diameter length, deep. Yes, any rule is ment to be broken at times. You have mag length, 'chamber length'(to lands), and consider what book COL states.

I measure with that particular bullet to see where I hit the lands, then compare the other lengths. I wouldn't worry if the cases are a bit short.

ill never make it to the lands as i am loading for an AR but thats a great rule of thumb. i will take a look at that now. thanks for the input

well now i just loaded the first five to 2.250 and one bullet happens to be seated at 2.258. whats the deal? should i still use it for testing? i know that the ogive is what matters but i dont have a tool to measure that and really dont want one as it wont change the way im seating bullets for the AR

It will be fine. Of course if you buy some ASC magazines that allow loading 2.316 you might consider buying that tool and the Sinclair set up for measuring to the lands.

Greg

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 One rule of thumb mentioned is seating the bullets at least to a bullet diameter length, deep. Yes, any rule is ment to be broken at times. You have mag length, 'chamber length'(to lands), and consider what book COL states.

I measure with that particular bullet to see where I hit the lands, then compare the other lengths. I wouldn't worry if the cases are a bit short.

Pretty good info there.
thumbup1.gif

Back