John Barsness on Euro optic "superiority".

dan newberry

The following is a response by John Barsness (writer for Rifle and Handloader magazine, as well as several other publications; author of Optics for the Hunter...)

He was asked whether the European scopes are truly better than scopes made elsewhere in the world. He makes some extremely cogent points, and I thought you guys might like reading what he had to say. His words follow in bold type:

There is an enormous amount of "pro-Euro" prejudice among many scope buyers, but the difference (if it still exists) isn't there anymore, at least in my experience.

At one time, say up until 20 years ago, some of the European makers did use more advanced lens coatings and systems than most other scope companies, so European scopes were "brighter."

In this case, "bright" means transmitting around 90% of the available light through the scope to the eye, as measured on scientific instruments. Mostly this was done by multicoating the lenses, and matting or baffling the inside of the scope to reduce interior-reflected light, which cuts down on apparent brightness.

Since then that advantage has almost totally disappeared. Zeiss does make very bright scopes, but independent scientific testing has shown a number of other makes also produce scopes that transmit 90%+ of available light. The same testing has shown that some Euro-scopes don't quite make 90%. So the line has blurred.

The other side of the question involves mechanics. The main job of a scope is NOT to transmit light, but to stay pointed in the same direction as the barrel. If this doesn't happen, all the fancy optics in the world don't help us hit what we're aiming at. Though any general statement is indeed general, I would say that 15 years ago the majority of Euro-scopes weren't all that tough, mostly because they didn't have to be. Most were sold in Europe, where hardly anybody uses a cartridge bigger than the .30-06.

Eye relief tended to be short for the same reason. Most rifles didn't kick all that hard, so long eye relief wasn't necessary. Short eye relief also tends to add to "apparent" brightness. If our eye is closer to the ocular (rear) lens, stray light from outside the scope's view is reduced, and the view appears brighter, even if light transmitted through the scope is the same. So there was some advantage to shorter eye relief in Europe, where hunters often shoot at night.

Many European scopes also weren't truly waterproof. Most only qualified if the turret caps were on, but could suck in moisture quickly if the caps were off. American-style scopes had long been totally waterproof. In fact we pioneered this feature.

When the optics market (indeed, the world economy) turned more world-wide in the late 1980's and early 90's, both European and American-"style" makers had to do some adjusting.

If the Europeans wanted to sell scopes in America, where we shoot bigger rifles, they had to start making waterproof, tougher scopes with longer eye relief. If Americans wanted to sell scopes in Europe, they had to start multicoating glass for more light transmission. Both have happened.

As for European scopes being super-fine, and everything else inferior, let me tell a story. When I visited the Zeiss factories in 1993, the rifle scope manufacturer they regarded as their chief competition was Leupold. In fact, the only other scope company they would even acknowledge existed was Leupold. This was a few years after Leupold brought out their MultiCoat 4 lens coatings. For an old-time German company to even admit such a thing was pretty astonishing.

This turned out to be a mistake, due to Swarovski's very aggressive and successful marketing campaign. Zeiss was so sure of their place as the premier European optics company that they practically ignored marketing in America--and Swarovski took over the "expensive Euro-optics" niche.

Swarovski's marketing campaign has indeed been successful, so much so that many shooters implicitly believe Swarovski makes the finest optics in the world, which of course to the same shooters means Europe.

Swarovski makes some very fine optics, believe me, but most are no better than a great many other products from all over the world. There are no deep Germanic optical secrets in the global marketplace. There are incredible optical engineers in every country that produces optics, especially Japan. They can take apart any scope, camera or binocular and see what makes it tick within a few days. To claim that Germany has a monopoly on such engineering is extremely naive.

This has been proven over and over again in all sorts of objective ways. But a lot of people like to believe they are more perceptive consumers than the great mass of average folks. I have used a lot of optics from all over the world. Some are really fine, some are not. Some are very fine optically but not mechanically--and vice versa.

But the country of origin doesn't have much to do with it anymore. Engineering and manufacturing does. This has been acknowledged in just about every other field EXCEPT sporting optics. By every measurable criteria, Japan builds the most reliable motor vehicles, Europe the least, and Japan leads the way in professional camera sales.

Yet some folks still like to believe that German elves are still making the world's best lenses, just as they did in 1965, due to some age-old secrets unknown to the rest of the world. If this were the case General Motors would still be making tons of money and Rolleiflex would be a leading professional camera. Obviously times have changed.

I hope Mr. Barsness doesn't mind me reprising his comments here...

Dan

Very interesting, but i disagree with most of it. In england, we dont see much japanese stuff anymore, its mainly korean, or chinese, and its junk, the jap stuff we can get, is good, but not in the same league as european, serious shooters here use european, mainly german. Schmidt and bender claim 97-98% transmission i believe, they wouldnt put that in their ads, if it wasnt true.Take a look at any special forces sniping rifles, all the english forces use s+b, including the police force.

Thanks for the link Dan. However I don't agree with Barnsess on this or hardly anything else for that matter.

On the other hand Barnsess is a nice guy. I can agree on that.

What else can one expect from the Leupold Sportsman of the Year?

Re the Japanese optics versus Euro... Nightforce glass (from Japan) is the best of the best, and nothing coming out of Germany can rival it. Same with the Japanese glass used in the U.S. Optics scopes, which American military snipers tend to favor.

Dan

You'll have to look beyond the lenses to choose the best scope.

Nowadays all lenses are ground with CAD/CAM machinery and all are near optically perfect, depending on the emphasis the manufacturer puts on quality control.

The days where a skilled (often German) master lens grinder made a difference are long gone. Now the differences are as stated, robustness, waterproofing, coatings, functionality, basic design, and warranty.

Ask a professional photoghrapher, who spends sometimes 6-8 thousand on a lens, which are best and he'll probably say Nikon or Canon, the Germans aren't even going to be in the running.

Leon

A friend and i were looking for a scope for his .223, we looked at a nightforce, and a schmidt, the nighforce wasnt in the same ball park, a crisp winters day , no haze, two men in their thirty,s with perfect eyesight, we went home with the schmidt. nightforce scopes sell to the br shooters, because of their high mag, not the quality of their lenses.

I've compared the two brands as well, and my 20/15 vision sees no discernible difference.

The S&B's different coatings tend to give a different contrast, which may be appealing to some, but resolution-wise the two brands are so close that it isn't likely that any human eye can see the difference.

Dan

IMHO, for the money, Nikon is the brightest glass out there, hands down. Leupold is the most rugged. As far as the high-end euro stuff, Zeiss is still more technologically advanced than the others, and is better overall than Swarovski and S&B. Ever see any microscopes in labs? 90% of them say Carl Zeiss on the side. Shmidt & Bender is highly over-rated. They function flawlessly, but are nowhere even close to the brightest. Not that they are not good, but not brighter than a Nikon Monarch costing 75% less. I could probably dig up at least 10 different scope tests in which S&B doesn't even score in the top 6 for brightness. Their ad is a lot of B.S. Nightforce is also brighter, but I have a mixed opinion on them. They are like looking through a spotting scope, you see all kinds of mirage. I think sometimes too much power and lens diameter in a rifle scope is a bad thing--2MG

Brightness of a scope (% of light transmitted) may be the most over rated aspect of any scope's function. Clarity and resolution of image, far more important, make the light transmitted into images that can be compared. The degree of satisfaction many find with a variety of brands is a good indicator as to how far the technology of optics have advanced. I believe it would be a rare individual that could differentiate between two scopes, one giving 92% light transmission, the other giving 95%. More importantly, it doesn't matter.

If the image viewed is crisp and the contrast excellent scopes with marginally lower light transmission percentages can be a far better choice than simply the brightest scope in any given test. This is where many of the less expensive scopes get winnowed out and why, for example and in general, the Chinese, Thai or Phillipine sourced scopes give way to Japanese, American or some European optics. Some manufacturers use several different countries of origin for their products and is the reason that some of the models are more desireable and expensive than others; Nikon is a good example.

All scopes will fail. The pertinent information is related to how many recoil cycles it takes before the failure occurs. Some scopes are built tough enough that its failure point is virtually academic while other scopes that may be "brighter" can fail much sooner due to inferior (cheaper) internal design and expense of manufacture.

Other variables such as weight/bulk come into play as well. A S&B may, for example, be the epitome of a quality scope but few of those that are interested in light rifles would opt for one on the basis of weight alone. Lighter scopes that have excellent resolution and contrast will often outlast their heavier competition in terms of recoil cycles before failure. And, in some cases, premium lighter scopes are less expensive relative to European scopes as well. This is the reason Leupold has such broad appeal in that it gives the long service life, the lighter weight and the better dollar value.

This is probably why Leupolds are featured on most rifle manufacturer products in ads; they want their product associated with a scope that is universally recognized as one of the best performance values. Its why Leupolds are a top choice for heavy recoiling rifles. And, why Leupolds are chosen for ultra light rifles as well. And, so far, no other manufacturer of scopes have attained the status and repeat sales to satisfied customers.

IMO John Barsness has made a very good analysis of what's going on in the rifle scope business.

I happen to agree with him.

I'll also say that anyone that hasn't taken a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope into the piney woods at dusk hasn't seen what optics can do for the hunter!

In almost total darkness I can see across prairies with broom sage grass (highly reflective) into the dark shadows under pine trees and pick out individual black feral hogs with ease.

When Leupold scopes have long been put away in frustration the Bushnell is ready and eager to hunt. Only Swarovski will hang with the Bushnell in this category.

I also believe that Leupold made their bones when everyone else was iffy in honoring warrantees. Now that almost all scopes carry lifetime warrantees and now that ruggedness and clear optics are as common as dirt I think Leupold will be sold to a "foreign" company" (like Burris) and their name will be run into the ground (if it hasn't already happened already on the sly).

Leupold has gotten pretty far behind the curve on optic quality and their ruggedness is merely average in this day and age. They still have the best warranty service in the business but many will catch them soon as scopes become more universal and easier to repair.

... Just one man's opinion,
$bob$

Idhunter, I have to disagree with Leupold falling behind, take a look at the new VXIII series scopes and the high end tactical, long range, target, fixed power, varmint and even economy scopes, never before have they had so many different options with new features such as illuminated reticles, reticles with hold over built in, new indexed lenses and good coatings on the cheaper lines as well. I don't like the trend towards outsourcing a cheaper line of bino's (wind river) but maybe they know what they're doing or heaven forbid maybe they did get bought out quietly.... nah. Built right, right here!

My buddy has an older German made Zeiss that has put any scope compared to it to shame. It's the brightest, clearest scope I've seen for sure but it weighs a ton and no the Zeiss conquest series don't even come close.

I will still buy Leupold because for every reason I choose a scope or bino they rank towards the top not just on top for a few features but overall they're hard to beat and in my opinion they can't be beat.

Last edited:
I agree with Tom and Handloader. Hard to go wrong with a Leupold, even though some scopes may be brighter, or cheaper or whatever. You still know you are getting a great scope that is backed by the best warranty in the business. I do think Leupold fell behind slightly for a while there, even though I'm sure their sales reflected otherwise. However, they are "back" now(even though they were never really gone). I agree with IDhunter that the 4200 is very bright, brighter than Leupold. But Nikon is just as bright or brighter in low light, and looks crisper to my eyes. As far as Leupold being only mediocre in the durability department, that is hogwash. There is a reason why 90% of the guides in North America have Leupolds on their rifles. As far as Swarovski is concerned, I agree with Barseness on this one. Unbelievably successful marketing has pulled the wool over a lot of peoples eyes IMHO. I'm not saying they aren't good. But they are over-rated. I guarantee you Zeiss has slapped more lens coatings on more things than Swarovski has ever even dreamed of. The top of the line Zeiss' are about as good as it gets. Another great manufacturer who doesn't get mentioned much is IOR Valdada. They also have been around the block a lot more times than Swarovski. They make glass for a lot of other European firms. If they had a cool looking hawk on the side of their scopes, they would probably out sell them. Just my 2 cents here--2MG

I have a top end IOR 2muchgun, its the best i,ve ever used, or seen, they dont make their own lenses, they are made by Schott of jena, who appparently make for zeiss, swarovski, and leica. Fabulous scopes, at half the european price, they havent a fancy name, and they are very eastern european looking, large, saddles etc, but boy, can they cut the mustard.Its good everyone had differing opinions, the world would be very boring otherwise. I need a new sight for my new .204, it will probarbly be another ior, but maybe something else, you guys have got me thinking about a nikon, as we now have an importer in england, oh decisions, decisions!

Baldie, thanks for the correction. Schott Glasswerks is actually who I was thinking of when I made that statement. Was a little hung-over this morning. If I remember correctly. IOR is now affiliated with Zeiss, and some of their scopes feature Zeiss lens coatings on them with Schott glass, which is regarded by most as the best glass there is. The top of the line IOR's and Zeiss' are better than anything I have ever seen from Swarovski or Schmidt and Bender and are a bit less expensive to boot. You should try a Nikon Monarch. I just recently picked up a 5.5-16.5x44. The third one I've owned. It was $399. With low profile , finger adjustable target dials and an AO, I believe it to be the best scope by far at such a price. All three Nikons have perfectly repeatable adjustments on them and will "shoot the square". In low light they are awesome. Never had one fog in rain or snow or hot or cold temps either. Which is something I cannot say about all my Leupolds or Elites. Take it easy--2MG

2mg, thats just the sort of spec, i,m looking for in a scope for this gun, what type of reticle are they? i would like another IOR, but in truth, i cant run to one, the wife dont know about the latest addition to the cabinet! theres gonna be hell to pay, so i,m gonna have a look at the nikon, and i,m gonna import it from your side, as it will still be considerably cheaper than england, thanks buddy.

Baldie--it just has a standard duplex reticle. I know how you feel, I've had to sneak in one or two in my day also. It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase--2MG

I would have to agree that American producers have come a long way in high quality optics. Leupold now is within 95% of a Schmidt & Bender which I consider top of the line still. Several years ago I could not say that. I have all the scopes from all the quality lines, both Euro and American except for the NightForce line. NighForce seems to have a quality product but for that kind of money, would get a Schmidt & Bender. In looking at all the scopes in my test box side by side at the same object one can see how far the American scopes have come.

I should have stated that I returned a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 when I bought the Nikon. I had a VX3 3.5-10x40 that I liked just fine, but I wanted more magnification on my Ruger #1 22-250. Once I got the scope home and was comparing with some other scopes I realized that the higher powers(over 10x) did not look good at all. This scope did not have an AO, but I figured if Leupold started making scopes this powerful without the AO, they must have gotten it right. They didn't, IMHO. It needed one. I took it back and got the Nikon plus $100 back. It was a good decision, and only took me 3 scopes to get it right!--2MG

I have a Leupold VariXII and a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40. I was a little nervous with the Buckmaster hearing all the negative about it not capable of holding POI and Nikon warranty sucks. So far, the past three years with the Buckmaster on top of a Sako 30-06, I have fired around 200 shots and it still holds zero through the entire power range. That Buckmaster is just as good as the VariXII and at less cost. It certainly is way ahead of the Leupold Rifleman I recently acquired in winning a shoot. Time will tell how long the Buckmaster lasts, but for now I am a Nikon fan.

Back