Lion killed in Kentucky

I bet when the dna test results are in it will be confirmed an escaped pet. There's no breeding population in the state. If there were there would be trail cam evidence with everyone running them these days.

Originally Posted By: kchI bet when the dna test results are in it will be confirmed an escaped pet. There's no breeding population in the state. If there were there would be trail cam evidence with everyone running them these days.

What part of the state are you from?

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyOriginally Posted By: kchI bet when the dna test results are in it will be confirmed an escaped pet. There's no breeding population in the state. If there were there would be trail cam evidence with everyone running them these days.

Louisville

Originally Posted By: kchI bet when the dna test results are in it will be confirmed an escaped pet. There's no breeding population in the state. If there were there would be trail cam evidence with everyone running them these days.

Is there a dna data base for pet mountain lions in KY?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: kchI bet when the dna test results are in it will be confirmed an escaped pet. There's no breeding population in the state. If there were there would be trail cam evidence with everyone running them these days.

Is there a dna data base for pet mountain lions in KY?

Lol I'm not sure. I guess like in the case of the wolf that was killed in Hart County last year they can tell what region it came from.

Originally Posted By: kchOriginally Posted By: LeadbellyOriginally Posted By: kchI bet when the dna test results are in it will be confirmed an escaped pet. There's no breeding population in the state. If there were there would be trail cam evidence with everyone running them these days.

Louisville

There's a bunch of sightings near the elk restoration zone where I live. The majority of the sightings I've heard of have came from reliable sources.

Originally Posted By: Leadbelly
There's a bunch of sightings near the elk restoration zone where I live.

Leadbelly, are you in Breathitt?

Originally Posted By: fw707I didn't mean to sound like a smart a$$.
It really was a serious question.

I know, that's why I put lol ;-)

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Leadbelly
There's a bunch of sightings near the elk restoration zone where I live.

Leadbelly, are you in Breathitt?

Yes sir !

I thought Possum Squat was a Breathitt county address.
grin.gif

thumbup1.gif

Last edited:

I wouldn't bet on that: SD mountain lion killed in Connecticut

Last edited:
Might have wandered over from Missouri. We've had nearly 50 confirmed lion sightings in the last dozen years. In fact, we have an elk restoration zone also (transplanted Kentucky elk - thanks!) and a lion killed one of our cow elk. The area I hunt is lion, bear and wild hog central.

Originally Posted By: GCMight have wandered over from Missouri. We've had nearly 50 confirmed lion sightings in the last dozen years. In fact, we have an elk restoration zone also (transplanted Kentucky elk - thanks!) and a lion killed one of our cow elk. The area I hunt is lion, bear and wild hog central.

That's what my dad was thinking too.
Maybe kentucky traded elk to Missouri for lion
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyOriginally Posted By: GCMight have wandered over from Missouri. We've had nearly 50 confirmed lion sightings in the last dozen years. In fact, we have an elk restoration zone also (transplanted Kentucky elk - thanks!) and a lion killed one of our cow elk. The area I hunt is lion, bear and wild hog central.

scared.gif

Not that I'm aware of.
GC, are you saying the elk in MO are an intentional transplant of KY elk?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: LeadbellyOriginally Posted By: GCMight have wandered over from Missouri. We've had nearly 50 confirmed lion sightings in the last dozen years. In fact, we have an elk restoration zone also (transplanted Kentucky elk - thanks!) and a lion killed one of our cow elk. The area I hunt is lion, bear and wild hog central.

scared.gif

Not that I'm aware of.
GC, are you saying the elk in MO are an intentional transplant of KY elk?

Just kidding..........
Ky has donated elk to Virginia, Tennesee, and Missouri. Heard some claim that Virginia traded black bear to em, but that's just hearsay.

Leadbelly,
I knew that several KY elk had wandered across the lines into states that weren't exactly happy to have them.
I wasn't aware of any actual (and intentional)trades of KY elk to any other states, but I've been out of the loop for over 10 years and I haven't kept up with stuff since I left.
thumbup1.gif

Back