.243 70 Grain Blitzking Moly

McGee68

I picked up a box of 500 from widners on clearance for $75. Never used moly coated bullets before and am looking info. I know you don't use the same data for loading but haven't been able to find any specific data. Sierra just shows the same data for all their 70 grain bullets. I plan on using there listed data and working up looking for pressure signs. Any info would be appreciated.

Also looking for any cleaning or maintenance ideas for keeping accuracy after the barrel is coated.

Originally Posted By: McGee68I picked up a box of 500 from widners on clearance for $75. Never used moly coated bullets before and am looking info. I know you don't use the same data for loading but haven't been able to find any specific data. Sierra just shows the same data for all their 70 grain bullets. I plan on using there listed data and working up looking for pressure signs. Any info would be appreciated.

Also looking for any cleaning or maintenance ideas for keeping accuracy after the barrel is coated.

Firts off the barrel needs to be squeaky clean of ALL carbon/copper. Check Berger out on how to break in the barrel for use of the moly bullets. He has a regimine for cleaning also using JB and Kroil.

I have never seen specfic data for them. The friction is lower and to obtain same same velocites you have to bump the powder charge. Pressures are decreased so you can go faster but you have to start working up at higher powder levels.

Accuracy is not normally increased only the lenght of cleaning between shots. There has been some issue in high humidity areas of a bit of increased barrel corrosion as it does absorb water.

Also once you are done with it it may be a bit difficult to clean the bore completely if you want to go naked again as the stuff does linger. There are some methods on the net but I don't recall how it's done., Once I shoot coated bullets,I use tungsten, I don't try to back up. I shot it in some of my 20 calibers but nothing larger.

Let us know your results on the range.

Greg

Back