Two foxes tonight

1trkyhntr

I took a new guy with me on his first hunt a few nights ago. On that trip he learned that we don't slam doors, we don't talk above a whisper, and that cows are definitely a very distinctive FLIR signature. They don't look anything even closely resembling a fox.
So with that experience behind us, we tried again with a new perspective.
Tonight we went to a farm that I know holds foxes. I put him on the FLIR and I took first turn on the rifle. I started with Eastern Cottontail for about 8 minutes, no takers. I Switched to Platinum Grey Fox and at about 4 minutes he whispered that we had a target at 12 o'clock. Whatever it was it skirted the fence line and he lost sight of it. I switched to Vole Squeaks and it came back and started in to the call. I turned on the Coyote Light and saw it was a red fox. I put the cross hairs on it and pulled the trigger. DRT.
Then we went to another field and I put him on the rifle. Same call sequence, at about 12 minutes I had a small heat signature at 11 o'clock.
I let it come in to what I estimated was 45-50 yds. I told him to turn on the light. He said that it was a fox, I said, well, kill it.
He pulled the trigger. I saw it go down, he could not see it anymore in the light. We stood up and he still could not see it. He was starting in on how he could not believe he missed, etc. I was looking at it the whole time through the FLIR. I let him pout for a minute or two before I told him that it was DRT. Nice fat Gray, his first ever kill. He was very excited and to tell the truth I was happy for him. He'll probably never forget this night.
We had a good time, it was a good night.

Last edited:
He is prolly hooked now
thumbup1.gif

Back