thank you hidalgo!

reaper4

Just wanted to send a public thank you to hidalgo for the help in coming up with a 60gr. partition load for my 223. I came up with this load with the intention of using these bullets for sika deer and man did they work. A buddy that I was hunting with called me around 815 am and told me that he had arrowed a really nice stag (3x4) and the shot wasn't great. I was hunting about 150 yards away from him on the other side of a wooded island watching the opposite side of the mash. I got down out of my climber and made my way over to him.(took about 30 minutes though the worst mud and muck I have ever seen) when I got there he said the the stag had been hit in the gut and was bedded down 526 yards out into the marsh. I told him that I would climb into his ladder stand and see if I could get a good eye on him though the 12x Nikon. after about 25 minutes of glassing with no stag in sight he decided he wanted to make the treck out into the marsh and try to recover this big stag. I told him that I would stay in the stand and walk him into where we last saw him. My buddy hadn't gone ten feet and up comes the stag, slowly walking towards the river.(if he crosses he is gone!) I told him to stop. got steady and asked him if he though I should take a crazy poke at him with the 223. his response was priceless..."[beeep] yes we will share custody of the shoulder mount" so I caught my breath held over and started to squeeze with my reticle set for a lung shot. BOOM....after what seemed like an eternity of flight time and finding the stag back in my scope, I saw the most beautiful sight a guy can see....back legs kick over top the stags head and he disappears into the two foot tall marsh grass. after a 20 minute wait and another hour long walk we stumble up to a the biggest stag either of us have ever seen on the hoof and we could not contain ourselves. there were high fives, hugs and maybe even a tear or two. I struggled with the decision to take a really long shot for the caliber at that stag but decided that he was already wounded and I might as well try to finish him off. once we got him back to the truck, about three hours later we really took a look at where the little bullet struck him. It actually hit his left shoulder, broke it and lodged in the opposite side. cant believe that at that distance with a modest powder charge that bullet did such damage. so thank you hidalgo for the help with that load and I must say I have quite the confidence in it now. (shot about .50 in the first five shot group with the charge)

Those partitions are bad [beeep].
smile.gif

yes they are. also shot into a bayberry tree truck that was about 8'' around and it went straight through with about a 3/4 inch exit. pretty impressive penetration. I just sent th remainder of them out on a trade for some 50gr nbt's thinking that I would not shoot maore than the 50 I already have loaded but now I must buy some more...oh well

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm very glad that I was able to help.

BUT ... It was you who loaded the rounds and made the shot. That is the most important part.
thumbup1.gif

Back