Quail Hunt Coyotes

centerlineseal

So a buddy and I took our young pups, 6 & 7 months old, for a California Valley Quail hunt yesterday. Got some good points and retrieves, and lots of shots, plus a half dozen birds. Great day, pretty standard bird hunt, BUT ...

Early in the hunt, we hear some shootin' down the canyon, coupla spaced shots, and lo and behold, here comes a coyote smokin' up the trail and he don't see two blaze-oranged hunters or the bird dogs. Goes by me about 30 yds broadside and gets two 7-1/2s in the shoulder area, plus some 6s from my pal from behind.

We found her 50yds up the creek an hour later while we were chasin' singles. Had to leave it because of the pups and the pervasive fleas on varmints out here. (Sorry, no pics)

Gets even better. As we were headin' back to the truck, my bud and his dog come back over the last creek we hunted, and my young male Brittany barks at them a few times, as he's kinda' a knucklehead and forgot we were with guests. We walk together about 30 yds and this coyote comes bailin' over the bank, presumably lookin' to kick some domestic dog's a$$. He got a load of 6's broadside and two more loads as he turns, again at about 30 yds. We looked, but didn't find him. Probably took a while for his lungs to fill up. Too bad, as he was a very fine, light colored dog and I might have skinned him, ... NAH!

We had talked drivin' out in the morning about not bringing a 22-250 and how we might need one. Turns out, didn't need it!

Back