Newtown victims' families suing Bushmaster......

This is just IGNORAMUS!! We might as well just sue the utensil manufacturers for all the fat people in the world also.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, they will most likely give in and do a settlement of some sort. I hope they fight it tooth and nail. If not it opens a can of worms for anyone who manufactures semi auto guns.

its truly mind boggling.........
Senate doesn't change hands till next year and we've got another year of our current admin. These things make me nervous.

Quote:How in the world can they seriously think that it's an inanimate objects fault?,,,From what I heard, it's not about the firearm, per se...But the fact that it was made available to the average citizen due to it being a "Military" design...

While I can understand the need for the victims' families to blame someone, since the shooter and his parent, due to death, is not available...

If it had been a fully auto Class III firearm, the claim might have had some legs, but otherwise, it's just an 'average' firearm,,,But if the claimants are successful to any degree, it will open up the potential for an manufacturer of any "military" design weapon, including a live owner, to be sued if it is involved in a crime.

The simple truth is that the firearm, an inanimant object no different from a hammer, worked exactly as it was designed and built to operate. There was no failure that would put liability on the manufacturer. All laws were followed in the manufacturing and distribution of the product. The only liability lies with the user. Of course, liberals despise the concept of personal responsibility, so this must be someone else's fault. And since it's obviously someone else's fault, it just as well be the fault of someone that 1) they hate, and 2) has money. It's all about the agenda.

So when someone gets stabbed and killed, we sue the knife maker? When I run someone over with my truck, the auto manufacturer gets sued?
All ridiculous. It's forcing BM to spend money, but I hope they fight it all the way.

there's a federal law protecting lawful commerce, they have a really huge hurdle to get across. And since they aren't suing the manufacturers of any other product used in the crime -Glock, for example- it's even higher. they're just trying to make the Bushmaster out be be a really scary gun that we're not smart nor informed enough to understand.

Has about as much of a chance as a fart in a tornado.

It was completely predictable that the lawyers for the families would take this path. Companies who are perceived to have deep pockets are always going to be blame targets in tragedies.

But here's the thing that will make this a no-go. The problem with the reasoning behind this lawsuit is that Bushmaster didn't sell Adam Lanza squat. Adam Lanza never bought any gun from anyone, legal or otherwise.

The guns used at Newtown were legally purchased and owned by Lanza's mother. So the plaintiffs are going to have a very high hurdle to cross in this case especially because there is no direct link between Bushmaster and Adam Lanza. The gun was, essentially and tragically, provided to Lanza by his own mother who, unfortunately was crippled by her own inability to deal with Adam's deepening mental illness and probably retardation as well.

Since there is no direct link between Adam Lanza and Bushmaster, it's going to be very difficult to argue what Bushmaster "did" that makes them responsible in this case.

Obviously, Lanza's mother AND the social service agencies should have done the responsible thing and found treatment for Adam even though it likely would have involved the unnecessarily complicated and protracted process to get him into a treatment center where he could receive treatment over an extended period of time.

Grouse

The courts have already decided this. The lawsuit is frivolous as it's a sure loser but this administration wants another bite at the UN Small Arms Treaty apple. They think dredging up Newtown would sway public opinion and support. I'm sure Obama would issue an executive order if he could.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishthere's a federal law protecting lawful commerce, they have a really huge hurdle to get across. And since they aren't suing the manufacturers of any other product used in the crime -Glock, for example- it's even higher. they're just trying to make the Bushmaster out be be a really scary gun that we're not smart nor informed enough to understand.

Has about as much of a chance as a fart in a tornado.

The other funny thing is that they are trying to say that battlefield firearms should not be allowed to the public. But if they truly would look at the facts they would see that the ar15 was released to the private public 3-5yrs before the US adopted it as their battle rifle and that most if not all firearms have been that way. The other fact is that these guns were stolen from the dead mother and that the only firearms that were used were hand guns. Was the ar15 on sight? Yes! But it was in the car. With the logic that these people are putting their hat on for this law suit tells me that if I am driving my ford work truck and get hit by a drunk driver in a chevy pickup. Then my kids can sue ford,chevy and what ever beverage the drunk driver had drank to make him that way. I don't see it going very far. But one can never tell when you are dealing with emotion.

The lawyered-up plaintiffs are using all the right emotionally-charged terms. "Battlefield firearms". "Assault rifle". "Military weaponry."

Actually, all this hyper-emotional spin-doctoring plays right into the hands of the defense: Virtually every legally-owned weapon today has, in its lineage, a "battlefield" firearm. The fact of the matter is that the progress of industry in this country--including the firearms industry--was driven by the military need for innovation.

If you study the history of firearms at even a cursory level, the fact is that innovation was always closely linked with the military's interest in a particular technology or direction. I've read accounts from Joe Manton of the early trials of percussion ignition concepts and systems and the ever-present driver behind this direction was that the British army saw the potential in this technology.

So the bottom line is that ALL firearms are, somewhere in the family tree, linked to "military firearms". It's like saying we should only drink liquid water. There's no other kind!

And the courts and the Constitution have already spoken on these issues.

I'm sorry for the loss that the Newtown families have experienced, but I would urge them to direct the money and the national attention at the root cause of this tragedy: untreated mental illness and our society's inability to remove dangerous individuals from society so they can get help and hopefully be cured.

Adam Lanza was severely mentally ill and probably also mentally retarded. His mother was unable to deal with the situation and the social service bureaucracy failed to act or were unable to act, which is just another form of failure. Lanza would not voluntarily seek treatment and currently there is no practical and timely way beyond this impasse. That is the root cause of the Newtown tragedy.

Grouse.

Last edited:
An AR was not even used at the crime. There is video evidence of the police removing an AR from the car, removing the magazine and clearing the weapon. It just amazes me the type of b.s. that tries to get passed off.

People with an agenda will always try to offer an alternate version of the truth to promote their interests.

Sad that they are using (using) a tragedy involving children to their own benefit.

Originally Posted By: rockin90An AR was not even used at the crime. There is video evidence of the police removing an AR from the car, removing the magazine and clearing the weapon. It just amazes me the type of b.s. that tries to get passed off.

Surely Bushmaster attorneys saw the same video you and I saw. Should be able to get it thrown out pretty easily on that basis alone.

Regards,
hm

Back