Dry media tumbler recommendations

larr

My old midway tumbler is getting ready to give up the ghost. I owned it for many years but I believe its about done. I'm looking for some recommendations on a new one. Thanks guys
thumbup1.gif

I bought the Lyman 1200 Turbo earlier this year, it easily out performs the Cabelas brand one of my Father in laws I had been using. Capacity may be on the low side, only complaint I have.

Most guys like to go with the name brands more often then not. Nothing against that. A little over a year ago I was in Harbor Freight and they had theirs on sale. So...I got it and it works just fine. It does a very good job. They also had a large box of media for sale for $5. It was broken open. I've got media for about 10 years. LOL

Perhaps it is now time for you to make the switch to a rotary tumbler and stainless steel media. Then for the rest of your life all you need besides electricity is a squirt of dishwashing soap and some water. Kind of fun seeing that old crappy brass going in the tub and coming out all shiny and pretty a couple of hours later.

^ I was thinking the same thing..

This is the perfect time to get the SS tumbler, or really go in and get the big capacity longer sonic solution from Hornady. That thing is big enough to put parts in. Double duty is a good selling point to me, especially if it makes cleaning an AR easier.

I have thought about wet tumbling but it seems to be too much hassle. I also was thinking about buying a sonic cleaner but right now a dry tumbler is the best solution for me. Thanks for your input guys, keep them coming

I don't think the stainless is a hassle.

I usually run in batches.. As many as i can cram in there. THen do all the prep and store. Then when i need to load, i just load a box and go.

This mean that I always want as big a tumbler as i can spring for, so i can load that thing up.

If your budget allows for dry only, then get the biggest one you can. If you don't have them already i would strongly suggest the sorting trays from Dillion..

It's such a time saver.

When i go to the range the kids pick up brass, i have the dillion rolling collector and they just walk up and down the line asking if they can roll up the spent cases. Since they are 7 and 9.. I get all kinds.
So i take the bucket and dump it in the sorter and in 2 minutes i can sort out a couple of thousand cases. I use 22-250 and 223 and the sorter allows me to dump both in the tumbler at the same time, and easily sort them out.
It's also very helpful for sorting 9mm from 40 and again sorting out the 45's as well.

The Lyman Turbo has been working fine for me.
I've been running it pretty hard for a few years and it hasn't missed a lick.
I usually run it 10-12 hours at a time.

I have a Frankfort arsenal tumbler. Has been very good for me so far. Has a fairly large tub and it seems to have more vibratory action than the hornady unit I had previously, it's not as loud either.

I have a Lyman Turbo 1200 with the auto flow feature and it works great. Obviously you need to size the machine for your needs.

I added a plug in timer so I can just start the Lyman and set the time to shut it off. This is a great productivity enhancer.

I'm sure that for my needs the Lyman will last many many years.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI have a Frankfort arsenal tumbler. Has been very good for me so far. Has a fairly large tub and it seems to have more vibratory action than the hornady unit I had previously, it's not as loud either.

I just bought this tumbler as well. So far it seems to do the job real well and it was real cheap. From what I understand is it is pretty much the midway tumbler with a Frankford sticker on it.

Shelton

Back