FYI-22 Dasher loads-14 twist

ackleyman

Nosler 50g Ballistic tips

35 gr.vv135 4k ft/sec.

36 gr.4895 4k ft.sec.

36.5 varget 4k ft/sec.

moly coated bullets.... fed.match primers

Very, very efficient cartridge!!

Dangit Keith! What are you trying to do to me? I have a 22-250 already. I have a .220 Swift already. Now you going to make me get another hot rod?

Lets see........who can I not give a Christmas present to this year to so that I can have some money toward a Dasher? Hmmmmm.....

My Dasher is a .20, with a long barrel. Runs the 39 BK's about 4400. Freaking laser beam.

- DAA

DAA, how long is your Barrel? You must have given up on skinning, because that load would probably half skin a coyote on the spot....spinners and nippers??? I don't think so!!

Originally Posted By: DAAMy Dasher is a .20, with a long barrel. Runs the 39 BK's about 4400. Freaking laser beam.

- DAA

does that make a prairie dog look like it swallowed a hand grenade??

Keith, it's a 28" Hart HV, chambered by Greg Tannel.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: DAAMy Dasher is a .20, with a long barrel. Runs the 39 BK's about 4400. Freaking laser beam.

- DAA

does that make a prairie dog look like it swallowed a hand grenade??

I haven't shot any p-dogs with it. But it's kind of disappointing in splat factor on 'chucks. Kills them just fine, of course. But no big air or triple gainers stage left or anything like that. Just kills 'em is all.

Few 'chucks with it.

IMG_5783.jpg

As you can see they are basically intact. And they landed within just a couple feet of where they got shot. Nothing like the .22-250AI or the .243AI or the 6-284.

Had a similar deal on p-dogs with another ultra velocity .20 many years ago. My first .20 project, a .20BR. The 32 Vmax at 4500 and even 4600 fps was actually kind of "meh" on p-dogs. Killed them just fine. Some splat. But really didn't compare to the .22BR shooting the 40 Vmax at only 4000 fps.

- DAA

the most impressive p dog kill I have seen was with a buddy of mine that was shooting an 87 grain vmax from a 243, that was like a grenade had been swallowed. from 75 yards away out my truck window. I may have ended up with pdog bio hazard on my truck.

I shot quite a few p-dogs with the 87 Vmax out of my 6AI. But it was even more filthy using the 75 Vmax at 3800 fps. Just unspeakably filthy on colony varmints, that combo was. Just amazing some of the air time we saw on 'chucks with it. That was the infamous .50 caliber Taliban sniper rig.

The old .22-250AI w/55 Vmax is no slouch at launching them either though. Somewhere I have a video clip showing a couple 'chucks getting a good 15 feet and more off the ground with the old .22-250AI.

But the all time 'chuck launcher, has to be Ackman's .257 Wby. Puts them into orbit!

- DAA

I need some splat factor on these coyotes, from my 20-250 AI, 55 Bergers.... it kills them...but they turn into spinners first.... got any suggestions....?

Nice Pic DAA

My .20-250 (not AI) is a 12 twist and I shoot some custom made 38's in it, made on drawn down Sierra .224 jackets. No spinners. Kills coyotes good!

I did have a lot of spinners while trying to solve the bullet puzzle though. Berger 40's were a disaster. Most .20 caliber bullets on the market just don't hold together very well at these ridiculous velocities and surface splash really bad.

I probably can't help with your fast twist and heavies. Just not my cup of tea. But are you getting splash causing spinners? If so, you need something with a heavier jacket perhaps.

- DAA

Hey Keith, hope you don't mind your Dasher thread getting hi-jacked all to heck?

- DAA

I've been running the 55 bergers slower than I want to already, average 3750 fps. I had some loaded up around 3950, but never shot any dogs with them... just the slower ones. I'm so use to seeing them drop on the spot using 40 vmax that I got disappointed with any type of spinners or short run offs. They don't splash...just blow a quarter size hole on the opposite side.

I wish I had shot some dogs ith the hotter rounds to see how they would do.

My friend in Okla is shooting the same setup, but hotter, like 4020... not sure how his is doing, but I'll call him to take notes. I hate to have a hot rod and run it slow.

Originally Posted By: dan brothers I hate to have a hot rod and run it slow.

Kind of like breast reduction.

- DAA

Back