pelt savers for 223

kahman308

Anyone have a good bullet that they like that saves pelts. I've been shooting some factory loaded Remington umc HP and they leave a good sized hole in the fur. Can someone point me in a good direction for some reloading pills that dont destroy everything?

I've only shot one with the 223 that was 53 gr vmax. Worked well small exit only went through ribs. Read back a few pages lots of 223 discussions on here.

Most of mine have no exit and only a 22 caliber hole going in. I do get the occasional big hole if I make a bad hit. The bullet seems to fragment on impact and takes out all the organs in the area.

I shoot the 53gr Vmax and find it works really well. If you hit bone it can sometimes make a mess but pretty much anything that hits bone can make a mess.

I like Hornady or Remington 55gr SP in both my 223 and 22-250 I would say 98% of my exits are no bigger that a quarter so I can't complain about that. There is always the occasional hit to heavy bone and then you get a big exit hole.

Originally Posted By: kahman308You guys talking like a pelvic hit makes a big exit? I mostly make vital shots on broad side.

nobody said anything about a pelvic hit. coyotes have bones all over. the shoulder for example.

I've had really good luck with the Nosler 40gr BT, it rarely exits and seems to do a great job on them. Since building my 22-204 I rarely use the 223 anymore, I like the 40gr NBT in it also. I find the 40gr NBT stouter than the V-max, holding up to bone better. I like the 52gr Speer FB HP also.

Originally Posted By: AWSI've had really good luck with the Nosler 40gr BT, it rarely exits and seems to do a great job on them. Since building my 22-204 I rarely use the 223 anymore, I like the 40gr NBT in it also. I find the 40gr NBT stouter than the V-max, holding up to bone better. I like the 52gr Speer FB HP also.
Just curious about the 22-204 ..... wouldn't necking the 204 up to 22 caliber be just a reversal of necking the 222 Mag down to 20 caliber which was the creation of the 204? or am I'm missing something here
smile.gif

I'm using 52 gr. Berger bullets propelled by VV N133 powder in my 223 with decent results.

Last edited:
One more time.

The 204 Ruger is the 222 Rem Mag with the shoulder changed to 30 degrees, shoulder moved forward, the body slightly straightened and then necked down to 20 cal. Necking it back up to .224 gives you a 222 Rem Mag IMPROVED without the need to do any fireforming. It also has a little more capacity than a 223AI and because your not doing any fireforming you don't need a crush fit, you can rechamber an existing 223 or 222Rem Mag barrel without setting it back. A quick easy wildcat that you don't even need custom dies to load as a Redding 204 Ruger Type S FL Bushing die with the spindle, expander ball and bushing swapped out to .224 will work perfect in fact I use the same Redding 204 Ruger die To load the 22-204, 6mm-204 and 25-204 with only having to open the throat opening in the die for the larger two. Hornady Seating dies with the sliding sleave in the appropriate diameter take care of the bullet seating chores.

L to R 222 Rem 223 Rem 22-204 25-204

Last edited:
Thank you AWS for the info. A interesting cartridge indeed.
thumbup1.gif
I necked down lots of 223 brass to 20 cal. + fireformed for my 20 Tactical and necked down 221 Fireball brass for either my 20 Vartarg and/or 17 Fireball. Maybe need to go the other direction and build a new rifle
smile.gif

Back