Windy day

Doc25

Well it was windy again here in Saskatchewan. Got off work a bit early checked my traps and nothing. Grabbed my calls and ran across the road to my neighbours and decided to get in some calling.

Well after about 1 hour and 3rd stand, [beeep] calls were frozen. Took the Olt T20 apart and stuck the reed part in my mouth and blew as best as I could. It sounded like a cross between an elk and that primos double whammy. It was still freezing intermittently and I had to lift the reed with my tongue.
Probably about 5 minutes into the stand I see something greyish moving in the woods. I think to myself good job dummy you called in a deer. After watching a bit I see it's a coyote coming in. I keep trying to work the frozen call as best I can. The coyote hesitates, then keeps advancing. About 35 yards I let loose with the remington 870 and low and behold I have my first called coyote and my first shotgun coyote. Coyote came in across the wind. I was hunting in about 10 acres of bush and had made all three stands there. 3" mag no 4 buck, remington. Scope adjusted to pattern.

Things I learnt today.
You can call coyotes in 20mph winds.
It is really possible to call a coyote in.
Don't give up. You can and you will get one.

Good job with your shotgunned coyote!
I tuck the calls under my shirt and jacket before and after calling, keeps them warm enough to keep the reed from freezing ( well most of the time
smile.gif
).

Great job!! I have big problems with calls freezing up also. I put a couple hand warmers in my parka pocket and put the froze one in with them. Works ok.
Congratulations!!!
I'm a rifle guy, but a lot of places I call are too close range imo so I have a Mossberg 500 I pack with me also for those sets.
I wish I could find some #4 buck shells.

Sorry about the lack of pics but my internet in cellular and sasktel loves to charge! Thanks for the info on the pocket heaters. I usually try to drop the calls in my jacket between stands, they didn't freeze between the first two so I forgot to tuck them. I appreciate the advice I've picked up here on PM. I enjoy reading about your successes, they encourage me to keep going out.

Congrats on both the calling and the shotgun kill!!! I'm new to coyotes but when late season duck hunting, I blow into my calls backwardness to keep em warm. I couple of deep puffs will warm em up well and then I'll flip them around and blow them into my coat or glove(keeps them quiet to not flair birds) to clear all the spit and condensation out before I start calling to work birds.

Talkin about wind. I was looking to go out tomorrow, but its going to be gusting to 40km.

Im good for 25km wind but anything more I dont like. Fridays going to be nicer.

Also, gotta love the weather we are having right now eh?
smile.gif

Ive called them in 30 km winds and find they are actually quite easy to call. The wind really dulls their senses. They cant hear me creep in and with branches moving or grass I can get away with a little movement. Call in thick cover and you will kill coyotes. Id also bring a shotgun too.

Back