Tree Stands

223fan

Do any of you use them. Where I hunt is very thick and I can't help but to think that getting above the brush would be better. Those of you that have used them were they worth dragging through the brush? Thanks

I understand. In the swamp where I hunt a large part visibility could be measured in feet . I'm sure the critters are in there I've seen them , but I think a lot are getting down wind of me and I can't see them.

i went the rout of guido's web with the lone wolf seat as a platform. but here lately i have about gave it up and just stand up while on stand. mostly because we are aloud to hunt at night now which means the open areas are producing good at night. and i typically don't have coyotes respond anyways during the day. mostly cats. cant kill cats at night hear. if electronic calls was legal hear on cats then i would for sure go back to using the web for calling cats with the call placed out somewhere and watching from up in the tree. you can check the guido's web out on youtube.

I have a few cheap hang-ons and a couple ladders that I used to put up in my favorite calling sites and leave them. They work great! I would check the weather channel for prevalent wind and pick what stand to call at last light. However, I am now taking my 11 yr old with me and can't use the stands. I will say that carrying the stand around and trying to set up is just to much work and noise for me. But leaving them hung and just carrying a harness worked really well. Take care

If there are pre-existing stands great. Otherwise, no way would I drag a climber or hang on and sticks around for a thirty minute coyote stand. Hanging a stand or climbing requires way too much time, movement and noise. A stand already set in place that you can quietly get into could be great. Be sure and wear a safety harness and use a tree strap and or lifeline. Falling out of a treestand is no joke!

I am with GC
If i happen upon a stand while out, great! If not i wont bring one out
And with that said, i only climb up into ladder stands.
Around here they are set up about every 200 yards along fields.
Take your pick

A couple of hunters i know use tree stands over a bait of roadkill or whatever they can get hold of with some success. They claim that yotes do not tgpically look up.

On the farms we deer hunt we have 2 dozen ladder stands we leave in place all year. I'm the only one that coyote hunts so I can use any of them at any time and they do work.

No way I'm taking a stand out there just to coyote hunt.

I like ladder stands best but I keep a summit viper on the atv just in case. We have so many chiggers, ticks, and spiders around here that sitting on the ground in bug season is out of the question. Plus you can see so much better. It's a lot more work but definitely a higher percentage setup. I really don't think a coyote looks up as much as a deer.

Using existing ladder stands has worked for me, and I have threatened to use my climber but haven't done it yet. It's THICK where I have access.

Back