Bullet unseating in throat

Saskcoyote78

For the first time in 10 years reloading I have had 5 bullets unseat in the throat of my rifle when I went to unchamber a live round. What went wrong? I FLS them??

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Are you seating them to long and jamming into lands? Double check your FLS die is set correctly. Also clean your sizing stem in the die. Hopefully you find out what it is.

Bullets have always stayed stuck in the throat when I've seen it though. Not in the action. Has to be something simple though.

- DAA

Brass Is To Hard, Probably from Working it. Time to Recycle Or Annealing them. When Sizing the neck Brass when its Too Hard it will not size correctly, Brass just springs back. In This case too close, to after firing inside measurement. Some lots of Brass do this very quickly, After one or two firings.

Last edited:
Thanks guys..I believe its the bullets are seated to long.

DAA- you r right they are stuck in the throat when I cycle the action, have to use a cleaning rod and push them out.

No crimping is done as its just for my bolt gun.

Baltz526- Thanks for the tip...this could also be the issue as its picked range brass Im reloading.

Cheers!!

Yep just a tad long in length a matter of a half turn of th he fine adjustment.
Yes on pressure jump when they are seated out that far but accuracy may improve its a benchrest thing but once in there either shoot or get out the cleaning rod

Would polishing/reducing by a thou the expander button help create more neck tension and allow him to keep the same OAL?

Crapshoot it will depend on how far you push into the lands of the barrel I mean just for pov try to pull a bullet out of a freshly loaded shell by hand . I mean if it's just a hunting rifle I would let it have a jump to the lands as point proven he would still be able to remove without a problem if you were to just tighten the case neck then that would lead to other problems such as neck hardness counting reloads and so it may just be best to give it a jump .and of course if the bullet style,type changes then that will mean a die adjustment to compensate for ojive of the bullet .

Sorry for the long reply just trying to help as been there done that.
Scott

Back