Longrange airgun coyote

SteveB22250

I took the day off today since we are looking at getting hit by a huge storm on Thursday, figuring they might be out looking for some grub before the storm,....... boy was I wrong it was slow. I called all day and managed to call in this guy, I have gone the way of the air rifles the last few years so I had my modified airforce condor in .257 shooting 72 grain bullets at around 950 fps average. He came into a couple lone howls and refused to come into the coaxer, I thought he was at around 100 yards so I put my mildot at the base of his ear and he dropped like a rock. I walk out and get him and find I hit him about 4 inches low in the neck the bullet passed through his spine and out the other side. I then ranged back to where I was sitting and found it to be a stunning 144 yards holy smokes!!! [img:center][/img]
Heres a pic of him and the exit hole in his neck at least its a fur friendly round. I practice with this gun all the time at 100 yards and it groups under a inch at that yardage.

This one with a shroud is pretty silent the bullet hitting things is louder than the shot, Im still working on this gun as soon as im finished machining the new trigger gaurd Im going to camo dip it after I duracoat it. Then it will be complete.

Years ago if someone told me you could kill a coyote at 144 yards with an air gun, I would ask them what they had been smoking... But like 6mm06 said "they have came a long ways"... Very nice... It is amazing...
thumbup1.gif

uote=SteveB22250] This one with a shroud is pretty silent the bullet hitting things is louder than the shot, Im still working on this gun as soon as im finished machining the new trigger gaurd Im going to camo dip it after I duracoat it. Then it will be complete. [/quote]

I think what you are doing is great and I would like to learn more. What does a shroud do to decrease the sound? I have a couple (Gamo) air rifles in .177 and they are not quiet. I watched a Fred Eichler video a cpl yrs ago shooting a coyote with an air rifle but really hard to determine the true sound on TV. Cost to get into that type of air rifle?

Originally Posted By: fair_chaseuote=SteveB22250] This one with a shroud is pretty silent the bullet hitting things is louder than the shot, Im still working on this gun as soon as im finished machining the new trigger gaurd Im going to camo dip it after I duracoat it. Then it will be complete.

I think what you are doing is great and I would like to learn more. What does a shroud do to decrease the sound? I have a couple (Gamo) air rifles in .177 and they are not quiet. I watched a Fred Eichler video a cpl yrs ago shooting a coyote with an air rifle but really hard to determine the true sound on TV. Cost to get into that type of air rifle? [/quote]
The shroud is a full length cover that goes back inside the frame it does have a few baffles in the last six inches of it it diverts air back into the frame making the gun quite.

The shroud is basically a barrel within a barrel air is diverted back into the frame of the gun making it quite. Heres a six shot group at 80 yards this is my zero range. [img:right][/img]

Last edited:
Most of the sound you hear from a spring piston air gun like a Gamo is the piston slamming forward. No effective way to quiet that. A PCP airgun like the Air Force uses compressed air from a tank to propel the pellet similar to a firearm using expanding gas from the gunpowder ignition to propel the bullet.
So a suppressor or barrel shroud on a PCP air gun works the same way as a suppressor on a firearm. Airguns are not firearms under federal law so it is legal to suppress it without NFA requirements.

Back