Trouble Shooting A S&W 22 AR

Field Medic

Issues with a 22 cal Smith and Wesson 22 AR. The casings are getting jammed during the ejection process. I've tried separate mags, ammo, and a cleaning. Any suggestions would be appreciated. .

I think I would be looking at the Extractor spring first..Some of the .22 uppers/actions can also be really finicky about debris build up in the action...Either the extractor is not releasing the casing, or the bolt is not moving to the rear fast enough for the ejector to kick it out of the extractor..

The Smith and Wesson Forum site has a M&P22 section. It is full of information on issues that the rifle has had.
Mine originally did a lot of the stove piping as you describe. I called S&W and they immediately emailed me a pre-paid shipping label to send it in for inspection. It came back in less than a week with all new springs and has functioned flawlessly since. This was shortly after the gun came on the market and they generously added a new magazine when they returned it.

I'll check it out. If it's the bolt not moving to the rear quick enough... how is this remedied? Is it possible certain ammo is unable to cycle the bolt?

Thanks Jack Pine..I've broke the gun down and given it a good cleaning. Visually the spring seems to be in good shape. I've read (per) S&W they only recommend a common "field strip". Are the other springs that are present/mentioned accessible with a "field strip"?

I'm aware of the extractor and springs present on a normal AR 15. This is obviously a different device.
I appreciate all of the responses.. thanks fellas!!

Note on my previous post. There is normally a fresh round in the chamber. So I don't believe it is an "ammo" issue regarding cycling a fresh round into the chamber. The stove piping seems to be the issue.

The only experience I had with one was not very good for very long. I bought the rifle new, the absolute worst shooting 22lr I've ever owned,hands down. I tried all probably 10 to 15 different brands/performance ammo and accuracy was crap. I hope yours is better and your problems get worked out. Good luck

Sorry to hear about your experience. I haven't experienced any accuracy issues. Just the function issues that I described. Did you send the rifle back to S&W?

I'd check the ammo in a gun nknown to function well. With the demand of .22 ammo today, quality is bound to have dropped. Polish the chamber well. are these hollowpoints? any sign of dragging on the ejected live rds? if so, gotta polish off whatever's grabbing the bullet. might be getting debris in the action from that deal.

yes, check extractor and ejector and breechface dimentions, polish, spring tension. my bet is on a rough chamber, [beeep]

I've had to build up the top of mag followers with expoxy, to get the ammo presented to the bolt at the proper angle to feed hp's. this epoxy wears down every 500 rds or so, has to be redone. I use jb weld and it's about 15 minutes per mag to redo it

No, I probably should have sent it back but just traded it away instead. The rifle did function flawlessly though. I guess if you like the way it shoots and feels to you, send it in and make them fix it. I'm sure it has some sort of warranty..

On inspection off the bolt. I found that I'm missing parts . Actually 3 parts that fit inside the bolt! I'm surprised that the gun functioned at all with these parts missing. I never removed them during a cleaning so they must have ejected during a firing sequence. The extractor rev., spring and plunger are gone.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Back