Lightweight carry/calling rifle?

Those rings are plenty strong, there is a tendency in the AR crowd to use overly tough components. Maybe be useful in battle but unnessicary on a hunting rig. There's no point In putting a solid once piece forged mount on a rifle with a plastic lower...

Well if you want the scope to be mounted properly (sit in the scope rings properly) then a good solid one piece scope holder is great. And with the RRA one piece scope rings I can take the scope and scope mount off and on multiple times and still retain my zero point. Try that with individual rings.

I will admit that the RRA one piece scope mount and the Nikon Scope adds some additional weight. Over two extra pounds to my AR. But I start out with only 7 lbs so the overall weight when I add the scope and RRA platform is right at 10 lbs. And that included the three extra 3" long picatinny rails that I added to the free floating modular rail system

Originally Posted By: MPFDThose rings are plenty strong, there is a tendency in the AR crowd to use overly tough components. Maybe be useful in battle but unnessicary on a hunting rig. There's no point In putting a solid once piece forged mount on a rifle with a plastic lower...

are you planning on packing the gun in the mountains?? why does an extra pound matter so much?? I seldom walk more than 400 yards to a stand. Weight is a concern but only to the extent that it allows me to quickly move my gun and make a shot. There are plenty of medium weight barrels out there that offer length but not excessive weight. lots of guys want a 16" barrel. your likely giving up 200 FPS doing that. not the end of the world but even that is too much when you consider even for a coyote gun IMO the 223 is under powered. some will scoff at that, whatever. 20" barrel lilja ar 740, criterion hybrid, or black hole LTR, that should be what your after. then a midwest gen 2 ss, or nordic float tube. a nikon scope mount is probably 5 oz.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_And with the RRA one piece scope rings I can take the scope and scope mount off and on multiple times and still retain my zero point. Try that with individual rings.

why the need to take it off so much?

be careful that RRA mount is really stout and yeah it returns to zero but it also is 10 oz. which is double and in one case triple the weight of other mounts.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettbe careful that RRA mount is really stout and yeah it returns to zero but it also is 10 oz. which is double and in one case triple the weight of other mounts.
I agree. I had bought one and sold it before even mounting it because it was godawful heavy. Sturdy and secure? Sure. I have Burris pepr mounts on my ars and love them.

nikon two piece p223 30mm on mine. take out charging handle slide onto rail tighten down. no bolts sticking out, no side plate for half the rail. face them forward or back. light and have been solid for me. bout 50 bucks.

The PEPR mount weighs 9oz, the Nikon two piece listed above, 3.9oz. If you want to see a ton of lightweight builds and parts lists, check out the lightweight and sub 6 pound builds on AR15.com.

I built a lightweight calling rig. I went with a spikes stripped lower. Rainer arms stripped upper. 18" med contour fluted stainless ar stoner 1 in 8 barrel. Dpms free float forearm. Ace skeleton stock. Sfwa cantilever mount burris ff e1 3-9 30mm this setup is truely lightweight i need to weight it. It feels great

This is what I came up with this past spring.

PSA 16" upper, Nikon Coyote Special scope with SSalt one piece mount, and a PSA lower with collapsible stock. Total weight is just a little over 7 pounds.

PSAboar14_zps3d9a0337.jpg

100 yard groups with 68 grain hp Ultra Max.

2F474A7C-286E-4B0A-866F-89CA30D0EE94_zpskjkepinr.jpg

I built a lightweight calling rig. I went with a spikes stripped lower. Rainer arms stripped upper. 18" med contour fluted stainless ar stoner 1 in 8 barrel. Dpms free float forearm. Ace skeleton stock. Sfwa cantilever mount burris ff e1 3-9 30mm this setup is truely lightweight i need to weight it. It feels great

Originally Posted By: je4bowhuntinI built a lightweight calling rig. I went with a spikes stripped lower. Rainer arms stripped upper. 18" med contour fluted stainless ar stoner 1 in 8 barrel. Dpms free float forearm. Ace skeleton stock. Sfwa cantilever mount burris ff e1 3-9 30mm this setup is truely lightweight i need to weight it. It feels great

What was the final weight with using a med contour barrel?

Back