Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 or Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO for 17 Fireball

castafly

I'm looking for a scope for my Rem 700 Varmint in 17 Fireball. I need to keep the scope cost to about $300, so I'm interested in the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 and the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO. I definitely want an AO (or side focus) scope, and these two fit the bill. For those in the know, which scope would you rather have for a 17 fireball (shooting out to 300 yards or so) and why? Any other scopes in this price range I should consider? Thanks!

IMO, it is hard to get a good scope with an AO, especially a side focus, and keep it to less than $300. Have you looked through the scopes you mentioned or did you just pick them because they fit a budget? Don't skimp on glass or you'll hate sitting behind the gun. I would probably save up until you have a budget of $500. That will give you way more options. What is the purpose of the gun (paper puncher, varmints)? You may be able to find a nice vx-2 a little above that price range used in the classified section. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...585#Post2750585

Last edited:
The gun will be used for varmint hunting (ground squirrels, rock chucks, prairie dogs, and possibly coyotes) out to about 300 yards or so, in addition to some target shooting.

The Diamondback has a front parallax adjustment, if I'm not mistaken, while the Bushy has it on the side.

Also, I own a Diamondback in 4x12, non-AO. It functions well, adjustments are very good, but, the scope is not as bright in the field as I thought it would be, still OK and useable though.

In the store, the Bushy Legend looks to be brighter with better glass, but is a physically bigger, heavier scope than the Vortex.

Have the Bushnell on my 17 HMR. Used it for prairie dogs this last summer. Had a Bushnell AR Optics on it and was not satisfied at all, sent it back to Bushnell and asked to upgrade. Was offered the Legend and took it. Worked great for me but have only used it to zero and 3 days of on and off prairie dog shooting(used my 20 Tac while my young son used the 17 HMR). Was completely satisfied with it. Bright and clear, side parallax worked good.

Back