10 day coyote hunt report

MasterBlaster

What a week! My good buddy BangPop and I headed out Thanksgiving day and got home on Saturday. We hunted from North Dakota to Kansas. Started up north and worked south. The north part of the hunt was slow. BangPop took down this pair with his coyote hunting rifle.
imagejpg1_zps45534103.jpg

He shoots a modified 700 Rem 22/250 it shoots lights out and so does he. He made a solo call to take this pair.
As we moved south the hunting got better first day after the move we found some very friendly land owners put out the welcome mat for us.
imagejpg1_zps23bc1b7f.jpg

We got right to work with BangPop getting the first one the next stand I picked up two, one while we sat in the truck planning out next move(pups are not too smart).
imagejpg1_zpsbaac5e15.jpg

Made another move and BangPop smashed another, next set we got a pair in and couldn't get them to stop ended up with one on that deal. We headed to supper and to get ready for a new day. We feasted on HAM SANDWICHES. Next day another spot first set I gave one a dirtnap about 1 min into the call. Next set we had single come in with his tail on fire wouldn't stop got 30 yds away and headed for a safer place, My R15 ended his run.
imagejpg1_zpsc2351a7a.jpg

We got a few more both missed a few but ended up with a pile of coyotes 13 total. Best trip we've had for a while.
imagejpg1_zps220f473f.jpg

Good week great times good friends. Hope you all have the luck we did.
MasterBlaster

Looks like a great time and road trip.
Amazing what a feast that a ham sandwich can be, especially with some Fritos corn chips and a diet coke.
thumbup1.gif

The Blaster and I had a pretty good go of it once we moved to some ground I've hunted for about 10 years. I've been telling him that this place can really produce the coyotes when the conditions are right, and this year they were RIGHT! My rancher friend really knows how to lay out the red carpet with the new welcome sign. We all got a good laugh out of the new sign. It takes a good buddy to not call you a pin head when you miss a gimme shot and to give you a "atta boy" when you connect on a tough one. And let me tell you that that boy can SHOOT RUNNING COYOTES WITH THE BEST OF EM.
We called some stands that are so good you just look at your partner and there's no need to say anything because you both know that it's virtually a 100% sure thing that at least one will come to the call. We used a mix of E-calls and my old stand-by Tally Ho that's been bringing them in for a long time. They can't stand not to come to those calls if they are good ones. I'm ready to go again. How about it MB, I'll go get some more ham and cheese and that good 12 grain bread. I got a couple of more places that are 50 or 60 thousand acres together that we can roam around on for a few days.

I know where there is one coyote that's hunting on a hay meadow that for sure needs to be shot. I hammered his buddy that had been hanging out WAY out in the middle of the flat ground the last stand before we headed home. I think I have a plan that would probably work to put him on a fur stretcher. I called my rancher friend to tell him thanks for the hospitality (in spite of his new sign) and he said he would introduce me to his neighbor to the southwest of his place. He said something about 36 sections, a whole township, without a building of any kind in it that we could probably call.
thumbup1.gif
It pays to have friends in the right places.

Last edited:
So, where can a guy meet you guys?
wink.gif
Sounds like a great trip all-around. Good to hunt with a good partner!

I have the Blaster well trained by now. I've told him that if he ever misses one, I'll sneak back to the pickup while he's trying to figure out what happened and drive off and leave him in the middle of nowhere.
tt2.gif
So far that's worked out pretty well. Evidently he's a quick learner. He still misses every once in a while, but he's figured out that if he does miss, its in his best interest to get up and run to the truck.
thumbup.gif
Bright guy that Blaster. All kidding aside, we all miss every so often and a good partner will look at you with that "You're a dumb a$$ clutz" and yet not say anything but " Where are we gonna make the next stand?" I guess I gotta keep him because I don't think it would be ethical to turn him loose on anyone else.
w00t.gif

Back