Open Season… HERE KITTY, KITTY, KITTY!

Infidel 762

Staff member
Oklahoma furbearer season opened December 1st… my first cat this season was this small tom… I set up overlooking an abandoned, well pad...in the center of the pad are some exposed pipes where a compressor used to be…I set a decoy in the center of the shrubs around those old pipes.. This set is very tight with a maximum shooting distance of maybe 70 yards... I had little, if any expectation of being able to get a coyote to an edge without coming into my scent cone… I went through several sequences of various distresses… I kept the volume varied and low, yet almost continuous… when he came in I was broadcasting vole squeaks, volume up and down then mute… un-mute up down up down mute… etc… He did not hang up on the edge like I expected; instead he simply walked out of the thickets across the open, red shale…

Bobcat has symbolic meaning when placed on totem... he asks us to consider the unseen and silent aspects of our inner selves… shed light on the inner parts we don’t normally recognize… by unlocking hidden secrets though wisdom we open our minds to receive new messages…bobcat is an advanced teacher and those who place him on totem are young with old souls...

Fox has his own message... Where bobcat asks us to look at our inner selves, he in turn asks us to examine old habits and tired approaches...That it requires spiritual principles such as honesty and open mindedness to be successful in ones search for a better self… spiritual serenity enables us to think outside the box in more creative ways... Where we once made waves we now adapt, blend into and use our surroundings to our advantage…

I adjusted myself to my surroundings by putting the sun to my back… I echoed the cry of wacky woodpecker off the black jacks… those echoes became that target of his desires as he came in like an arrow… his body straight and tightly aimed... It is a noteworthy observation that even his head is shaped like an arrowhead…

The rest of the day brought only a thief with hollow eyes…

In my pursuit of the cat, I never let the coyote walk…

Below is the first bobcat I ever shot. It was in the year of 1987 and I was 13. It took 2 winters of hard hunting before I would finally be able to place hands on my first cat. Back then I knew nothing about calling predators; we did not have the internet nor did I know anyone with experience to show me the ropes. I would set up in a tree like I was hunting deer and I called from the same spot for hours. I hunted with an open sight 30-30 Winchester. Sometimes I carried a big silver radio with a cassette tape of dying rabbit that never once proved productive. I practiced with my hand calls to mimic the sounds of that tape. One winter afternoon in 1987, I blew that hand call and magically he appeared at the edge of the thickets. I fired that 30-30 from a yoke up in a cottonwood and there he lay down. I was so excited I slid down the tree like a fireman on a pole. The 30-30 is not fur friendly... I was upset that the taxidermist would only mount him lying down due to damage from that caliber.

That same sand ridge where I took my first cat has proven itself as one of my honey holes for coyotes. However it would be another 27 years until I took another cat from that ridge. This time I set on the hill beneath the old cottonwood I used to climb. Just as I was ready to call I heard a deer start snorting to my 1 o’clock… I thought I would do fawn in distress. I just wanted to see if I could call in the deer, kinda’ just messing around. I did fawn in distress and it was not 2 or 3 minutes later I scan in the direction where I heard the deer and this cat is just sitting there, staring in my direction. Her lighter coat silhouetted in stark contrast against the back drop of a dark green cedar. I did not run stumbling through thickets to get to my downed cat, like I did in 87… however it still felt the same inside…

I will be back to visit that old cottonwood and I am sure he will be there waiting for me… just like he always has…

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/reb8600/media/PM%20Items/HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif.html]
url]

Nice, infidel...nice looking critters and nice looking rifle. A mixed bag anyone would be proud of.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: batman1262Every once in a while you loose me. But this was a cool post!
People have told me that before
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: hm1996Another classic, Jeremy, keep 'em coming!

Regards,
hm

Thanks Clarence

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyWay to go on the cat !! Nice iron maiden shirt too
smile.gif

Back the Iron Maiden was my favorite band...

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyWay to go on the cat !! Nice iron maiden shirt too
smile.gif

Back the Iron Maiden was my favorite band... [/quote]

Mine too
thumbup1.gif

Back