anyone have issues with the RCBS Rangemaster 750 electronic scales?

logstove

I think my 5-0-5 scale is off so I got the 750 scale. I find it a bit strange when loading for a caliber and taking this pan and empty in a case. While doing this the scale will show -0.1 with the pan removed. Then when putting the pan back and throwing powder on the pan and moving the pan to fill a case the electronic scale will show -0.2 etc. Was curious if this is normal? And if you have a -0.2 reading prior to putting the pan back on the scale, do you "adjust for the -0.2" by throwing 0.2 more powder on the pan? for example I am weighting Benchmark at 24.5 grains but when the scale reads -0.2 does that mean I should weight 24.7?

I have calibrated this scale every time I use this 750 scale and do so every time I start loading with the 750. But this small difference shows up every time.

Yes. You can zero the scale with an empty pan on the scale. But hate the thought of having to zero every time I throw a charge on the pan. However I have never done it this way and thought this was not designed for that. Maybe I should try it and see but if I have to do this after throwing every load...what a bummer.

Originally Posted By: logstove But hate the thought of having to zero every time I throw a charge on the pan.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that.
You should not have to zero the scale every time you weigh a charge.
If you do there's something wrong.

Last edited:
Try this, Ten minutes before you are ready to scale powder, turn it on, set a bullet in the pan till you are ready to start, then zero, mine a lyman, works the best that way.

If I understand you correctly, you put your powder charge in pan to the weight you want then remove pan and the scale shows a different negative weight right? When you put your pan back on scale does it return to zero? If it does you are ok, if it doesn't then you have a problem such as a florescent light close by in your room. I have also seen a cell phone mess them up
ohmy.gif

I am not zeroing after every charge but maybe I should try that and see if that helps somewhat but do not want to do this after EVERY charge.

Well the problem with my scale is it shuts down after 5 minutes of no activity. Sucks but I think with the AC adapter this may not do it. Yeah I am running on the 9v battery as the AC adapter does not work. Will need to place a call to RCBS and see if I can change out this AC Adapter.

Larr,
Yes when I remove the pan to throw the powder in the pan into a case and return the powder it does not show ZERO despite having initially setting to zero. I am going to have to check if this is showing zero prior to putting the pan back on the scale. Regardless it is showing a -0.1/2/3 and I have been up to 4 before I said FK it. So when I put the pan back on the scale it does not show zero any more. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 measures before it does not show zero.

To be fair I have florescent lighting right above the scale (about 2.5 to 3 ft above scale) but I have a box covering the majority of the florescent light. Maybe I should move to another location but I do need a light directly above as its hard to see when throwing the powder thru the funnel in the basement etc. I probably need to play around with this and the lighting. What lights are you guys using above your scale? Incandlescent?

This is the reason I sold my electronic POS and will never own another. You almost have to go outside and unhook all the wires to your home to use them. And then it's not a certainty.

I load with my phone on my belt, my radio or TV on, and a gallery of fluorescent lights overhead so I can see what I'm doing. The RCBS balance beam works just fine, thank you.

Oh yeah ... I run the HVAC, too.

I have two PACT scales. One is set up with the dispnser and an old RCBS 5-0-5 scale. I got paranoid a few weeks ago and broke down and bought a set of RCBS check weights. After an hour of moving the weights from pan to pan among the three, stacking and removing various combinations I could find that none of them ever varied more than 0.1 grain. The variation came from placement of the weights as far as I could tell. I now feel confident that I can use any of the three and be in good shape.

No flourescents in my reloading room only incandescent and halogen. No special rituals or activites to make things right.

Greg

its funny how some of them are such a pita and some are such great tools. My first electronic scale was the biggest piece of junk that i found myself holding my breath half the time i was reloading. i bought a 750 about 6 months ago and it has been pure pleasure. i run my a.c., take phone calls and watch tv at a very well lit bench and never have any issues.

Maybe I am just the rare lucky guy, But I have never had some of the issues with my ChargeMaster that some of you guys talk about. I have 3 florescent lights above my 2 benchs and have never had any strange readings on my scale, I take the pan off and the scale goes to 0,

I got it working correctly when under a standard lamp but had to place the lamp about 3 feet away from the 750 scale. At first a few powder weights then it happened again with -0.1 showing. I recalibrate everything and did 26 loads without a hitch.

IMO I think the beam is fine too but even that is sensitive too. Lets face it...these stuff can make some anal but I think once you use one of them and learn how to maximize your setup and movement (i.e. moving the beam weight notches is a job and half for me with my large hands) one can find that many of these products are good.

FWIW...I initially had the 750 in the same room with the lamp but decided to move under florescent lighting because throwing the charge from the pan to the funnel on a 223 case I found I did not have the funnel exactly around the mouth and thus some of the H335 powder slipped outside the mouth. I guess with the 223 cases I am going to always have to ensure I have the funnel covered completely around the mouth but this is not a problem with 243 cases.

Thanks for all of your ideas...my first time with electronic scales and I do not have a TV/phone in my loading room
thumbup1.gif

Logstove, ran into the same problem with the funnel, H335 and 223 cases, took my plastic RCBS funnel and took a 204 case, cut off the base and clued the 204 case to it. The neck of the 204 case fits into the 223 case and no spilled powder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John56Logstove, ran into the same problem with the funnel, H335 and 223 cases, took my plastic RCBS funnel and took a 204 case, cut off the base and clued the 204 case to it. The neck of the 204 case fits into the 223 case and no spilled powder.

Buy the spun aluminum funnels from Satern and you won't have any problems with powder spillage. I got my first one from Sinclair and now get them from Brunos.

Greg

Thanks for the ideas. Guess I will need to get another funnel and maybe pick up 204 case from the range. But I hardly see any 204 at my range. I will check out the spun aluminum funnels from Satern too.

I'm not one for posting much stuff on the internet, but I happened to see your question, and couldn't help but respond as I was having the same problems awhile ago and it was frustrating me. I called RCBS and talked to a tech and he told me this kind of thing happens quite a bit. it's usually caused by static electricity. i got told to wipe down the entire scale (black flat, pan, weights everything) with a anti static sheet (dryer sheet) turn the scale back on, -0-the scale and tap the flat plate softly and quickly until it reads overload. -0- the scale, then repeat the tapping 50 times quickly without overloading the scale. after this It should work. I did this on my scale and haven't had a single problem since. Just another option to try

Back