Baiting

started getting bait about a week ago used it sparingly yotes have been around can hear them yapping and barking at night...bait has been disappearing. Got 2 more good sized barrels Friday. Dumped one whole barrel in one big pile ...crows love it. This morning at 4:30 coyote barking behind house like a dog on the end of a long chain and wanting to get in the house..... 10:30 this morning had first of the season coyote on the ground..... DRILLED it dropped it where it stood 80 yards from bait. Female not real big ... yearling dropped like a sack of potatoes. After last years early experience with scope being off ...and missing TWICE before I realized it ..this feels a whole better. I had to go do some chores and was not around but was told by family there was another out behind house no shots .. so looks like we are off to a good start. 243 80 gr. Remington PLHP ..... sweet

Tis the season!! My local deer cutter dropped off the first truck load of scraps yesterday! Ill probly put some little teaser piles out this weekend to get em to start coming in.

Dogdriller, what part of new England? How did the fur look on that female?

northern New England -- last week from Sunday to Friday -- 3 dogs down -- probably the closest I will ever get to a triple. 2 females and a very PO'd male... drilled him through shoulders and spine he could not move except to bark, howl and turn his head and growl something awful at me with teeth as I walked closer. the first female year or so old, second female younger , male 2-3 year old. Plenty more still around Friday night and Saturday night plenty of yapping and carrying on. The last 2 years was pretty slim -- looks like we are on an up swing and its only October. Fur looked ok still needed to thicken a little for winter. never put bait out like I did last week -- wow it was worth it. going to do it some more if I can.

WOW, it has been almost 3 years since I have been on here and it is still going strong!!!! started today making myself some5 gallon bait sickles.. keep up the good work and put some fur on the ground

It's been 6+ months since I've thought about baiting or checked out the baiting forum. Sounds like you are all off to a good start - congratulations!

I've got a few beaver dams/huts that I hope to lay steel around on Sunday. Got one in the freezer so far, but hoping to trap 3-4 more before the end of the year. Beaver carcasses seemed to bring them in more consistently than any other bait during our redneck research last year
smile.gif

Nice going Ron. You seem to be the lucky one at the moment. Seems everyone else, myself included, is having a really slow time right now.

Finally broke the ice on another bait site coyote last night. She's been coming on and off for a couple of weeks, but couldn't quite get her right. Shot was about 100 yds with Savage model 12, 223 using a 40 gr. v-max at 3,750 fps. She was standing on the hill which surrounds my pond. The shot was quartering away with entry at about the diaphragm, caliber size entry, and no exit on the opposite side. Bullet exploded in the lungs, but she still went about 25 feet and fell in the pond. I had to fish her out this morning and dry her off to make her presentable.

Actually other than an absence of coyotes at the bait site, it hasn't been too bad of late. I've taken two gray fox, a red fox, and called and killed a bobcat. Hopefully the coyote calling will improve once we get back to a dark moon.

Last edited:
I would say you are doing very well DoubleUp, better than the rest of us. Three fox, a coyote and a bobcat isn't bad at all.

Recently I had an opportunity for a gray fox, but somehow just didn't want to take him, so I let him go. Maybe next time I won't be in such a generous mood.

6mm06 is definitely one of the good guys on this site. He is always willing to help and has given me some good tips. I too hold him in the highest esteem.

Nice going doubleup looks like a good sized one. did use a need a net and waders to retrieve it? Been busy on my end, I took some advise I remembered from an old post a couple years ago and have been setting my bait up a little differently... for me it meant it giving the coyote a better long range view... especially with the crows feeding and not always having it in the same spot all the time....even if it means moving it only 20-30ft. Plus we had a litter of coyotes this year to help with the excitement. 6 coyotes drt in 4 weeks, biggest 49# male... just 2 yearlings others year and older.. and no misses and this is only November. tracks say there are still plenty around and guys are telling me they have seen them deer hunting, I have not. Deer season been a bust so far so getting these early has been somewhat enjoyable, still would like to put some venison in the freezer but it may not happen.... oh well.

dd, no actually I had a long handled gaff that I used to get her in shallow water. She was not large as coyotes go here, but she had a lot of red in her color. Congratulations on the 6 coyotes, that's great work and that's a big male even for New England standards. Maybe your deer will arrive before the season ends. Keep us posted, and remember we like pics. It is always an encouragement to see pics or video of other hunter's successes.

Thanks predhunter, and maybe you might want to start putting out a few small deer scraps to get them interested early.

Originally Posted By: skooterYou listen for coyotes in your sleep 6mm06! I wanna grow up to be just like you teach me your ways.. haha that's awesome..

Yep, I have to admit that I hear beeping sounds in my sleep, though I never really know if it's a coyote or a possum.

You and DoubleUp are giving me too much praise. It may go to my head and make me start missing shots. LOL. But, coyotes are about
as scarce as hen's teeth here now, so it may be a long haul before I ever get another one. I may have to take up possum hunting.

Here's what the beeper told me just recently. I gave the fox a pass. The crow came the next morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeDDQDt7Tdw&feature=youtu.be

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp6mm06 is definitely one of the good guys on this site. He is always willing to help and has given me some good tips. I too hold him in the highest esteem.
+1
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp6mm06 is definitely one of the good guys on this site. He is always willing to help and has given me some good tips. I too hold him in the highest esteem.

One of the best.
thumbup1.gif

Back