When are new rifles in 17 wsm coming out??? And dumb another question?

bubblejunkie

When do newer rifles come out? Is it to late to expect next year? The dealer Browning catalog is out and only lists 22's or 17 hmr. for 2013. A T-bolt in 17 wsm would be bad [beeep].

Anyone know of a gun smith willing to convert 17 hmr to 17wsm? would it even be possible?

I'm really wanting the new 17 and the new rifles I've touched are junk (Savage B) Although a new wood stock or something other than a Barbie stock could make it nice. I love my 22's with savage thumbhole stocks

I think that I heard Savage has a contract on the 17 WSM until January 1st. Then other gun manufactures will begin producing rifles for the round. I have also been waiting anxiously. I was blown away by the Savage B by how crappy it felt. I know that like all things there is a demand for an affordable/cheaper product but I really dont know if Savage could have produced a cheaper toyish feeling gun.

I agree with bubble, I ve handled one and the quality is not the same as other Savage rimfire rifles. Local store sold all 5 that they recieved.

I don't have a problem with my B.MAG. Yes, it feels a little flimsy, but mine shoots great. Eventually, there will be wood stocks available, but dead ground squirrels and prairie dogs don't care about pretty stocks.

With regards to a .17HMR conversion. Be aware that whatever you convert must be able to handle 33,000 psi.

So far, only Volquartsen has stated that they will be offering a new rifle in the .17WSM. They are taking orders at the 2014 SHOT Show. I am hoping that some others join the group, but being a 5mm rimfire fan has made me very wary about getting my hopes up.

Eric

So whatever happened to the low wall and the Ruger that was tested early on? They seem to have snuck out the back while no one was looking.

I never saw a Ruger. I'd be interested to see what they tested. Where did you see it?

Btw, I had my B.MAG prettied up:

Savage-BMAG-Camo-3.jpg

Eric
cool.gif

The Salvage Bmag certainly isn't a quality rifle. The first thing you need to do if you buy a Salvage Bmag is to junk the recycled milk jars stock and replace it with a Boyds Laminated. Then attach a 5 inch vice grip to the bolt knob so you can open it easier after each shot. Hopefully Ruger, CZ and Browning are already working on smooth bolt action 17WSM's and be for sale early in the new year.

Register 6yrs ago and your first post was a necro-post for a B-Mag thread that was a year dead?

I'm pretty happy with my stainless heavy B-Mag so far. Synthetic stocks on $350 rifles are never good, whether it's a B-Mag or an American or a 700 ADL. The close to cock thing is weird, and the style choices for the bolt handle and lot end cap aren't so attractive, but I think the B-Mag bashing bandwagon is getting way too much traffic.

A lot of people have said that once it's made in a "decent rifle" they were rushing out and getting one. Guess that means the VQ is "junk" too

664-brown-gray-if-5-wsm.jpg

Or people are expecting a $1500+ rifle to sell in the $300 price range
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorI think the B-Mag bashing bandwagon is getting way too much traffic.

+1

2 posts that added to the traffic jam.^^^ make it 3 now.

What basically happened is Winchester developed a super new rimfire cartridge. Savage got the contract to build the first rifle for the new ammo. Turns out the Bmag just doesn't have the quality to kick off the new 17WSM ammo. With extraction issues, a plastic Daisey stock, headspace problems making the bolt hard to open, the magazine is difficult to load and substandard accuracy. The only thing they got right is the trigger. The Salvage Bmag needed a bit more tweaking before it was released.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I was thinking about building one but the wsm bullets are .172" a shade too small in dia. for a hmr barrel.

Why do you think that they are a shade to small in diameter? They are both .172.

Btw, if you build one, be aware that the pressures of the 17WSM is in the 33,000psi range. That is much higher than the 17HMR and some rifles chambered for the HMR may not be able to handle the pressures of the 17WSM.

Eric
cool.gif

Last edited:
Back