Now That Oil Prices are Going Down, Logical Move? Raise Gas Tax, of Course

Well...

1.) They have to now pay for all the highway repairs, that they aren't generating revenues from with greener vehicles.

When your Prious gets 50 mpg, you simply don't contribute a whole lot to road repairs.

2.) Obama is still on his green energy kick, trying to make Gasoline unaffordable, so green vehicles that contribute less to road repairs are more popular, so that we have to pay more taxes on gas, so we can sell more green vehicles.

If I had to guess, somewhere along the way, there are a whole lot of subsidies going into the green vehicle technology game, that are being paid for by gas taxes.

3.) Obama, who said, he was going to cut taxes and reduce the deficit 7 - 8 years ago, when he was running for office, has run into the reality that the deficit has been turbo charged and is running away under his expert tutelage, and he's just trying to fund some of the [beeep] he doesn't have money to fund. Because of course... We didn't build any of that.

Virginia repealed our gas tax last year. Gas prices here now are around $2.49 in the sticks where I live and from what i hear around $2.30 in Richmond.

Government taxes already take a bigger bite out of a gallon of fuel than the Oil Companies make per gallon on profit. You'd think that if the Republicans can be intimidated into a budget agreement to fund obama's Amnesty, which doesn't even exist, they could be talked into a gas tax increase just because gas is 'so cheap'. Taxation without Representation, where have I heard that before? Boston, maybe?

Yep, used to paying $4 a gallon, if its 2 now I guess its ok to add 2 in tax.

Local water company did something similar a few years ago when we were dealing with drought. They (the police) issued citations if you used water. The city didn't use water so the water company didn't see its revenue. So they added a surcharge to make up for it So the water "cost" the same, you just had to pay more to not use water that you weren't supposed to use. And if you used enough to bypass the surcharge, you used too much and would be fined.

now let's see @$4/gallon, I really limit my travel. Tax based on number of gallons used. Now let's see if @$2/gallon, I might now want to drive more especially to the cabin 4 hours away. That means the government state/feds will get the same amount per gallon, but lots more total dollars. Means the government will have more money!!
But that is not what the government really wants. They want you and me to be totally dependent upon them for our everyday lives. To tell us what we can and cannot do, based on the amount of money we have or don't have. What did they call redisposition or wealth?

Back