Rock River Arms Questions

ColorNotColour

I'm in the market to get a RRA Lar-15, but I'm completely lost. I went on their website and their rifles have such a large range of prices. I think I probably want a 20" barrel because I would like to have a little more range, but other than that, I don't exactly know what I want. What are some things you look for in a predator AR? I don't know what makes one of RRA's AR's so much more than the next.

Originally Posted By: reb8600I like light and short. I prefer the 16" barrel.

Same here,

I just got two rifles from Predator Technology Group. One is an 18 inch .204 and the other is a suppressed 16 inch .223, Both rifles are far better quality than any of their mass produced counterparts and came to me at a far better price.

Take a hard look at the predator pursuit. You can get it in either 20in(which I have and is very accurate) or a 16in. My 20in balances very well and is not that heavy. It also has a prs stock on it that adds some weight. I built 2 a couple years ago for 2 buddies and used a collapsible stock on theirs and they still balance very well. With the right reloads they will shoot better than their guarantee moa. Stay away from their bull barrels they are just way to front heavy and would need to be 16in to balance well. If you are looking at a complete upper Joebobs usually has them in-stock at a good price.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinTake a hard look at the predator pursuit.

+1 This is what I have in the 16" flavor and highly recommend it.

I thought it would feel different with the smaller barrel, but actually it balances very well and shoots even better than RRA's guarantees.

Also, the coyote carbine is worth taking a good hard look at as well.

I looked at those, they're nice, but I'm not really crazy about that stock. I don't know the name of the permanent unfoldable style stock, but I think a collapsible stock looks a lot better.
How much of a difference will the extra 2 or 4 inches on the barrel make for accuracy? Does anyone have some record of how much their spread increased with a different barrel length? Also, the coyote carbine looks great, but I was hoping to not have to spend much over 1000. The coyote carbine is 1300 on RRA website.

I love my predator pursuit with a 20 inch, but it is a 8 pound gun before you add anything, if weight is a factor.

You're right, I just found one for cheaper on another site. Any trusted website recommendations for AR's? Also, anyone have any input on how big of a difference there is in accuracy with a 16" vs 20" barrel?

Originally Posted By: ColorNotColourAlso, anyone have any input on how big of a difference there is in accuracy with a 16" vs 20" barrel?

Accuracy..........not really, I have seen SBR's that group pretty good.

Velocity..........oh yeah.

The moral of the story is that different bullets/loads like different speeds. Pick your barrel, find or develop a load that it gets along with.

Last weekend I shot my 20" Predator Pursuit, at our ranges 100 meter Underground range, and got 5 10-shot groups that ALL went 3/8" groups with my 55gr. V-Max handload. My kids 20" RRA Coyote shots just as good in the tunnel.
We both have been hunting yotes for the last 4 years with these 2 Rock River AR's, and I recommend them to anyone looking for a good yote rifle.

I have a 16" operator 2 that shoots awesome with my hand loads, 40 grain noslers bt's and N-133. I just don't think you could go wrong with any rock river in any length, they just flat out shoot, period.

Originally Posted By: ColorNotColourYou're right, I just found one for cheaper on another site. Any trusted website recommendations for AR's? Also, anyone have any input on how big of a difference there is in accuracy with a 16" vs 20" barrel?

They say this guy has some of the best prices on RRA stuff...

http://ar15sales.com/

And as already mentioned, JoeBobOutfitters.com is a great place to buy from.

20" will give you more velocity. Take it for what it's worth. People can and will argue all day long about accuracy. Both choices from RRA are going to be shooters, no doubt about it. If it was a bench gone, sure go 20". For a hunting rifle, I'd prefer 16"

Thanks, checked out the sites, lots of good selection. One more question, as I'm new to the AR world, I don't know very much about them. What is the difference between some of them that makes one more expensive than the next? For example, what's the difference between the RRA Coyote Carbine 16" barrel for a bit over a $1000 and the RRA LAR-15 16" barrel that's just over $800? The only difference I can spot is the Coyote Carbine has a different hand guard, different flash hider, and a rubberized Hogue grip vs. the plastic A2.
Are the guts of these rifles and their shooting ability equal? They both have the same barrel with the same 1:9 twist.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerOriginally Posted By: deaddogwalkinTake a hard look at the predator pursuit.

+1 This is what I have in the 16" flavor and highly recommend it.

I thought it would feel different with the smaller barrel, but actually it balances very well and shoots even better than RRA's guarantees.

Also, the coyote carbine is worth taking a good hard look at as well.

Yup. Mine is a 20" but either way you go you will be happy with the Predator Pursuit.

I have a RRA lightweight 1:9 barreled upper that is my coyote gun. I picked the options off their website that I wanted. All up the gun weighs about 7 pounds which I find important in a coyote gun. The accuracy is excellent.

If I were to get another I would want at least a 1:8 twist for heavy bullets. I had one of their 3 gun uppers that was a 1:8 Wylde chamber and it was phenomenal for accuracy. It shot 75 grain bullets very well. That gun weighed 9.5 pounds though. I do a lot of hiking in deep snow for coyote season here so I like shedding the pounds.

If you have not picked up on my theme, in my world, lighter is better.

First fine RRA dealer and check out the different rifles.
Then, shop around for the best price.
Do not forget transfer fees and taxes when buying guns online.
When, you find the rifle you like get the number right.

Back