Colorado Cat Season off to a Good Start

huntingal

I worked hard getting most of my cages out Monday. Set some on some new ground I picked up, and some on ground that I trapped last year.
I was pleasantly surprised to start catching critters the first night-and a lot of them. All told I caught 4 bobcats (a personal best) and one badger that night.
Three cats and the badger went home with me, released the other YOY cat.

First cage cat of the year.

Nice badger for around here.

Tailgate shot.

Picked up this nice tom 2 days after getting the first cat-same cage. I took a cat last year in this same exact location.

Last edited:
Nice catch but why are you trapping cats now as they still have another month before there really get good. Really big price difference between early and good prime cats.

Yes, I agree, the fur keeps getting better, and I hope to keep catching cats by then. Where these cats came from I might not be able to access in a few weeks.
Get them while I can.

Great job! I agree huntingal I have some really good places in N. Colorado that you have to trap now or I will get snowed out until seasons over.

Thanks everyone! Had a walk by/refusal in one of cages that caught Tuesday, other than that, just more badgers. Oh-and one big long tail cat that fooled with a trap.

Dan-Good luck to you-I released a couple of Utah cats this year (first time-no tags), boy that was like taming a Tasmanian Devil!
w00t.gif
We were both out of breath when it was over!

Mr. Popodoppolis- I usually get $10 for a badger "in the round", sometimes up to $40 on the taxi market.

And I'm still going strong, I've getting some nice toms now.

Crazy side door trap of Mercers works really well.

This is to show where I set the trap. Most trappers would have set a trap in the rocks on the other side of the road, but that is also were they all look. Nobody pays attention to the brushy fenceline where I set, so no worries of my trap "wandering off" with the wrong owner.

Super, super nice cat. Funny thing is that I almost pulled this trap two days before I got this guy.

And finally- released a nice female-I know her big boyfriend is around.

Back