First of 2014-15 season

whitey21

So I've been pretty busy and just now getting around to doing some real coyote hunting. I checked the weather figuring it was going to be windy or raining like it usually is when I have a day off. To my surprise it was clear and no wind. I got permission in August to hunt this cattle farm just up the road from me, so I swing by the night before and tell the owner I'd be out there in the morning. I get home from work in the wee hours of the morning and grab a little bit of shut eye before I am to be awoken by my alarm. I set it later than usual because: 1. the property is literally a 1/2 mile from the house and 2. I wasn't going to walk in till it was breaking daylight so I didn't jump anything (really I just wanted any extra sleep I could get).

Park the car, gather up the junk and head out to a little stand of trees on the base of a hill. It looked like a nice funnel area to direct the coyotes down a wooded corner of the property. I set the caller 50 yards in front of me and I go lean up against a fence post with a few head of cattle on the other side of it. Not really where I wanted to sit but I had the hillside to my back and I could see better than being in the stand of trees. Plus I hate calling around cows, especially with a shockwave that could be trampled.

I like starting out with a good rodent sound. I did that for 7 minutes or so. Nothing. Click over to some lightning jack...Nothing. So I give it a minute and I hear a faint bark. It caught me by surprise and I couldn't tell if it was dog or coyote. So I figure what the [beeep], I'll call back with some howls. This time I could tell it was coyote directly in front of me but still far off. So I heard someone saying they go to submissive calls whenever they get a response. It is just as good of an idea as any that I had so I punched in the Fem sub and let her rip. This time I got a challenge bark back. So I challenged. Now a different ones barking on my 10 O'clock. So I bark back at both of them. Waiting...waiting...nothing. Well alright lets do some pup screams, that'll get them pissed. Got some barking from both of them. So I figured lets do some male barks and howls. After a few of them I let it sit for a minute, and her she came over the hill on my left down between a couple of round bales of hay.

She come in at a good jog and by the time I got turned and scoped her she was nearly to the caller, zeroed in on the decoy. I barked and she locked down and I centered her. Foxbang kicked in and I scan the field. She still had some life in her so I put another one down range to make it quicker. I got a few barks from the other one, but it wasn't up to the challenge to come in.

Here is the property. Red dot-caller, Green dot-me facing red dot, 1X and 2X-estimated location of responding coyotes, Blue line-shot coyote's path that I could see.
21679eab-dc2d-44ee-857f-a424bfecbdfc_zpsf4b3dad3.jpg

She come from the far left in this picture between the round bales.
a75dd391358c109d7d5637dd2d007a7c_zps24d28756.jpg

e3ef71d2984c622efc3bfaa585b5be75_zps5ba743df.jpg

Thank God for foxdata. I had forgotten half of this with all the barking going on. I will say the times are when I remembered to punch the data button. So if I remembered half way through the time I let the sound run it'd show up shorter than what happened. I did have some male challenge barks in there too, must have forgotten completely on them. Also the temp drop was because of the remote being in my jacket.
Picture1_zps62e77e6c.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Good write up too! I need to try the submissive sounds I guess. I have wondered what to use when they howl at me but never come in... Gonna have to download some sounds I guess!

Thanks everybody.

Originally Posted By: TaterTotNice! Good write up too! I need to try the submissive sounds I guess. I have wondered what to use when they howl at me but never come in... Gonna have to download some sounds I guess!
It's worth a shot. They may never work again for me but they did this time.

Last edited:
Back