Pros and Cons to .223 wylde

Tgomez82

Hello everyone, I am new to the AR family recently picked one up for a decent price and now its time to start trying to fill the money pit I just purchased. I am wanting to do a trigger system and BCG which I've already picked out and a barrel, so that's where I hope all of you can help I'm wanting a medium heavy barrel and the .223 wylde keeps coming up in my searchs. Thank you in advance.

Well, my only experience with the .223 Wylde chambering was with my extremely accurate RRA Varmint A4. As far as I can tell there's no con to the chambering, even in terms of accuracy (the 1/4" groups my rifle shot proving that). The major pro is that it will fire 5.56 ammo without problem, so if that's all you can find you can at least plink with it.

Originally Posted By: Chris.KWell, my only experience with the .223 Wylde chambering was with my extremely accurate RRA Varmint A4. As far as I can tell there's no con to the chambering, even in terms of accuracy (the 1/4" groups my rifle shot proving that). The major pro is that it will fire 5.56 ammo without problem, so if that's all you can find you can at least plink with it.

+1 No cons that I'm aware of. My RRA Predator Pursuit shoots just as well his Varmint A4.

The Wylde is just what the doctor ordered. In the right barrel they can shoot lights out. In non-quality ones then they still handle all the ammunition types but don't shoot any better because of the chambering. I have two that Ritch built me with Black Hole barrels. They are sold as 556 but are more of a Wylde. The original Wylde has been altered by everybody and their dog. I don't know who does the true original. I suspect many are close but like the 308 Ibet there are ten others.

Greg

Ok thanks gentleman, so it will shoot 5.56 if I buy a BCG that supports it also rite, would you happen to know if there is any truth to me hearing it does better with heavier projectiles then lighter, so it wouldn't be recommended to shoot 40-55 grain?? Just something I was told so not sure how much truth there is to it..

Originally Posted By: Chris.KWell, my only experience with the .223 Wylde chambering was with my extremely accurate RRA Varmint A4. As far as I can tell there's no con to the chambering, even in terms of accuracy (the 1/4" groups my rifle shot proving that). The major pro is that it will fire 5.56 ammo without problem, so if that's all you can find you can at least plink with it.

Nice shooting Chris K.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Tgomez82Ok thanks gentleman, so it will shoot 5.56 if I buy a BCG that supports it also rite, would you happen to know if there is any truth to me hearing it does better with heavier projectiles then lighter, so it wouldn't be recommended to shoot 40-55 grain?? Just something I was told so not sure how much truth there is to it..

The chamber will handle all of them. It's the twist rate that will dictate how it handles various bullet weights.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Tgomez82Ok thanks gentleman, so it will shoot 5.56 if I buy a BCG that supports it also rite, would you happen to know if there is any truth to me hearing it does better with heavier projectiles then lighter, so it wouldn't be recommended to shoot 40-55 grain?? Just something I was told so not sure how much truth there is to it..

You have told us nothing about the barrel. Since you state you have the Wylde chamber we can only assume you are referring to RRA? In that case you have a 9" twist which means you can shoot most every .224 bullet minus the extreme weights (e.g. 80gr). The best advise will come from your own trial and error.

Thank you Greg, Chris and NY yotekiller very helpful information, like I said I am very new to building a setup and want to try and make it as pain less as possible.

Fair chase, I haven't purchased a barrel yet, that is why i am asking question to be as informed as possible before I make the commitment and I understand as in most things trial and error will answer more questions than anything but I didn't think there would be any harm in picking some brains for a bit

A lot of the rra barrels are a 1/8 twist. Mine is and it shoots 50 to 75 grain pills wonderfully. Never shot over 75 or below 50

Ok thank you for your input, looks like ill have another thing to factor into my final decision, thank you fellas for sharing your knowledge with me it is much appreciated. Hopefully soon I can have a finish product to post some pictures of in its respective thread!

wylde is what you want IMO, the 5.56 is the loosest of the chambers. the wylde is tighter but enough to fire everything still. I would look at a 20" criterion barrel from brownells. I would also be interested in a black hole barrel if you can wait, or if you wanna spend a little more a lilja. These 3 companies offer a medium weight barrel criterion calls it a hybrid. it basically has some meat removed behind the gas block and under the handguard. perfect for a predator hunting ar 15. all 3 offer this barrel in a similar contour, which I recommed, rather than an hbar or worse yet a bull varmint barrel.

Any quality BCG will work(.223/5.56 the same), just don`t scrimp on that part, I went that route once and that BCG now sits in a box on the bench.

The bolt carrier isn't a huge deal, an $89 from palmetto will get the job done. I just bought a RRA chrome BCG. The only reason I bought it was because I wanted something that slid into battery better getting in and out of the truck making stands. after using it the last couple days It accomplished the job just fine. its much easier getting into battery. I have been pretty happy with the criterion barrel I have. it still keeps the rifle handy and quick. but its shoots pretty well with several loads under MOA. I wish it was stainless and not chrome lined though.

I would seriously consider white oak armament, rainier arms ultra match, shilen, lilja, or kreiger. The woa barrels are on a lot of competition style ar's and get excellent reviews. They can also be had for a reasonable price at around 275.00 plus shipping. Do some homework on your barrel purchase as its the most important part of the Ar when accuracy is concerned. Go read some reviews.. And yes, a wylde chamber is preferred in my rifles..

Thanks ICU I had the thought that the barrels would be alot more than that, Steve the reason I want a higher end BCG set up is because this particular AR has problems with some jamming and failure to eject and I was thinking maybe that would help solve that

Back