savage axis in 223. how accurate are they?

champ198

been saving up a little money to try and get back into predator hunting. had plans to get a Foxpro and use a 22 mag that I was getting from a friend but a lot say to hold off on the fox pro and get a better rifle. so looking at the axis in .223. I can get one for less than $300 at Wally World. but really don't know anything about them.
so what's you alls opinions on them?
and can you still swap the barrels on them like other savage models

The Axis uses the same thread pattern as the other Savage rifles. Barrel swapping is one of the pluses of Savage center fires. One friend of mine has an Axis .223 and is shoots as well as my Model 11 in .223, which is much less than MOA. If you are near an Academy Sports they have a closeout on Axis rifles for $259. There is a factory rebate of $50 on the Axis through the end of the year. Buy the rifle and mod the trigger with the $1 trick and you are good to go.

I have two Axis rifles, a .223 and a .22-250. Both shot consistent groups of just over an inch at 100 with factory ammo, both shoot under an inch with handloads. They are more than good enough to take coyotes and they are a fantastic value considering the accuracy. I use mine for coyotes and p-dog expeditions, my sole reason for getting into the Axis rifles was that burning up much more expensive rifles shooting p-dogs just doesn't make sense to me.

As everyone will tell you, the stock trigger is bad. It's heavy and has creep. You can do a mod to reduce the pull, but that doesn't solve the creep, although it still makes a big difference just to reduce the pull to a manageable level. The best quick fix is to spend $89 on the Rifle Basix trigger. I have this trigger in both my rifles, it makes a fantastic improvement.

Cosmetics are adequate for a rifle of this price range. The stock is plastic, the magazine if metal/plastic, feels cheap, but works fine.

For the money, the Axis is a fantastic value. You can easily spend twice and much and not get any greater accuracy than the Axis can deliver.

I would question why you would want to get into barrel swapping on a sub-$350 rifle. The combination of the cost, hassle, and then having to rezero would, to me, outweigh the benefits.

As an aside, depending on the terrain in your area the best predator rifle may actually be a shotgun.

Grouse

I use a Savage Axis .223 and it shoots great. I shot ground hogs out to 200 yards this summer with it.

I killed 9 foxes last year with it and was only able to save 3. The rest were 2 fist holes or larger. I shoot 55 grain vmax which I also know is not optimal.

You will get many mixed opinions on here as far as caliber, name brand, bullet selection etc. I have also been looking into a .22 mag. If you are anything like me, most of my shots were under 100 yards anyways and I mostly call foxes opposed to coyotes so I am thinking a 22 mag will suit me just fine.

I absolutely love mine. It was the first savage I purchased and still gets used the most. Prairie dogs for mine and a coyote or 2... I'm shooting a 40 grain vmax using benchmark powder and makes the pd do neat acrobatics

I just picked up an axis II and it shoots amazing for the price. Mine shoots under 1 moa at 100 yds. I went to 350 yds and fired five shots and hit an 8 inch round steel target five times. Mine likes the 50gr American eagle varmint tipped. I also own a savage 111 in .270 a 111 in 300 mag and a model 10 in .243 and I think that the axis shoots just as good if not better than the other more expensive rifles. The stock is kinda flimsy but it is usable. I would highly recommend the axis II which the accu-trigger
thumbup1.gif

My Axis .223 group, 3 shot, about 180 yds (150 meters), handload 55gr hornady fmj.

Sorry! I'm newbie and this my first post this forum.

I have 2 in 223 and both shoot under 3/4" at 100 and my kids shoot PD silhouette (6"x9") out to 500 meters with them

I don't have one but from the posts I see; they are the best shooting rifles on the internet!!!!!

(Not sure how they shoot in real life
w00t.gif
)

Originally Posted By: coleridgeI don't have one but from the posts I see; they are the best shooting rifles on the internet!!!!!

(Not sure how they shoot in real life
w00t.gif
)

Every rifle is the best shooting rifle on the internet. Everyone knows that.

The point is that for less than $300 bucks, with the Axis you can have a reliable rifle, from a major maker, and it just happens to shoot at least at or just above MOA with factory ammo.

There's nothing not to like about the Axis if you need or want what it offers: Reasonable accuracy and quality at a rock bottom price.

I've put well over a thousand rounds through my .223 Axis, which I bought simply because I couldn't justify spending more money on a rifle that will just get burned up shooting overgrown rodents. It shoots great and in over 1k rounds, the only thing that's broken on the rifle was the spring catch on the magazine, which was operator error anyway. Not bad for the price and I won't shed a tear when the inevitable happens and the barrel burns out. At that point, it won't owe me a thing.

Grouse

Good rifle. The spring trick didn't lighten the trigger enough for me. I would get one with the accutrigger or buy the aftermarket trigger. Mine was moa or better. I would like to get a "better" rifle but can't justify the cost difference. Get the axis you will be satisfied.

I almost bought the Axis but happened into Dicks and they had the 111 on sale with a Nikon scope for about 50 more that also has the Accutrigger so I went with it. Love it so far.

I love mine!! Didn't want to spend a ton on a gun that might get knocked around hunting with its perfect for this, plus it shoots great!

Back