Cougar Meat Needs

Fergus

A cougar killed a small deer I'd be guessing but maybe a 100lbs about 200 yards from the house down by the river and I was wondering how long would that last a full grown cat. [its been 4 days so far]

Cougar's are out of season at the moment so I thought about giving it some time to finish off the deer then get someone in with dogs and checking out the area.

Thanks

An adult cat, by itself, will kill every 7 to 10 days. A Mamma with sub adult cubs can kill as often as every 3-4 days.

Ben Lilly used to theorize that they would cache for each other. I don't know how true that is, but they do cache for themselves.

Some say they will scavenge, some say they will scavenge but only fresh meat, some say they don't scavenge at all. Nobody can say definitively.

Lots of variables, but those are the generally accepted numbers and thoughts.

Amazing number of deer or elk per cat when you think about it.

My neighbors and I are having a heck of a time with them killing goats and sheep. Now it's a female and juveniles, she will kill a goat, leave it, kill a deer the next night, leave it and come back to the goat the same night she's killed the deer.

I just got two depredation permits by email to shoot mountain lions, that's pretty cool but my neighbors and I who have recently lost animals are good to go as far as shooting them anyway, but it takes the gray area hassle away from DF&G wanting to see the dead animals and trying to determine if you are good to go when one is shot.

Originally Posted By: Super White Hunteror they will kill a deer bury it then when they leave the coyotes will come in and eat it down so the lion just kills another deer the next day

Yeah, they do the same with wolves in MT, sometimes only get to eat once before being run off by the wolves. It really puts a hurt on the mule deer populations!

Back