Barnes TTSX .308 130 gr. report

Squeeze

Keep in mind, the rules of the forum don't allow posting gory pictures, so the description will have to do.

I have been loading the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX bullet, in my 300 WSM, and for a couple of 308 Win rifles(one Tikka T-3, for my Son, and a Browning BAR LW Stalker, for me). I took an antelope in WY, this year, with the 300 WSM and this bullet. It was a 220 yard high shoulder shot(public land near private, so DRT was desired). I had a nice 30 cal hole in, and about a 2.5" exit hole, with tissue and bone fragments spread on the WY plains. The antelope buck was DRT.

We just finished up the WI firearms deer season, and both 308s, using Barnes 130 gr. TTSX loads, were use to take two antlerless deer. I was expecting slightly less evidence of violent expansion in the 308s, given the 2800 fps MV difference than the 3450 fps MV of the same bullet in the 300 WSM. Not the case. My son shot a doe fawn that was orphaned by a neighbor's take of the doe earlier in the season. We targeted that doe fawn as it looked pretty pathetic trying to paw away 10" of snow to get to a cropped off alfalfa field, since it was all Mom showed her before Mom became food. Anyway, I expected the 130 gr. TTSX to get some expansion, but not a 4" exit hole, on a chest cavity heart shot. I also targeted a doe fawn, because of our high winter mortality expectations of this year's early and severe start to winter. My 308 BAR shot, again was a chest shot, with a more typical 2" exit hole, on the chest shot. The fawn was headed to a nasty thick cedar swamp, so I shot it again, and that looked like an RPG hit it. Jeez! I am only shooting a 308!

Anyway, all concerns about the lower velocity performance of the TTSX are erased!

Squeeze

We have shot quite a few deer with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets with a 260 Rem, 30-06 and a 300 WSM. Most of the deer had small exit holes so without skinning the deer you would think that the bullets just passed right through without doing much damage.

These bullets can have a small exit hole and have a very large wound channel through the deer. Just because the bullet stays together doesn't mean it is not doing some big time damage on the way through.

I have shot far smaller TSXs, not even tipped, at even lower velocities than that and the amount of damage/penetration is amazing....

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobWe have shot quite a few deer with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets with a 260 Rem, 30-06 and a 300 WSM. Most of the deer had small exit holes so without skinning the deer you would think that the bullets just passed right through without doing much damage.

These bullets can have a small exit hole and have a very large wound channel through the deer. Just because the bullet stays together doesn't mean it is not doing some big time damage on the way through.

Bob,

I think what I was seeing in fawn whitetails and TTSX bullets is the exit hole was still part of the violent expansion area that one would see in ballistic gelatin. I was just surprise to see the large diameter of violent expansion in the lower velocity 308 Win. When one sees a small hole in, and a small hole out, the violent expansion bubble, one sees in ballistic gelatin, was contained in the carcass. And yes I appreciate the weight retention of Barnes bullets. That and the non-toxic aspect of the bullet, is what attracted me to them starting with the early X Bullets. The expansion of these TTSX bullets at lower velocities is what I was surprised by, given some mixed results with the early X Bullets.

Squeeze

Squeeze, I hope it didn't look like I was lecturing you about the Barnes TTSX bullets when I wrote, Just because the bullet stays together doesn't mean it is not doing some big time damage on the way through.

I was just tring to say that from what I have seen the Barnes TTSX and TSX bullets do some damage as they go through deer.

Some people seem to think that Barnes bullets just pencil hole right through animals and don't do enough damage to kill the animal quickley.

I would think that the 308 Win with a Barnes 130 gr TTSX bullet would be a great combination for deer.

I am using the Barnes 120 gr TTSX bullet in my 260 Rem for deer hunting.

I have a 22-250 with a 1-8" twist barrel and it shoots the Barnes 62 gr TTSX bullets real good, I am tempted to take it deer hunting next year.

Last edited:
You are correct about the early X-bullets. Barnes has come a long way in developing that bullet. But it seems they finally have it right....

I know EXACTLY what you are trying to convey, and agree 100%. I have seen it many times now. That is why I have told many here so many times that they do minimal pelt damage unless you hit heavy bone.

The TSX entry/exit holes do not appear to ever be massive. But when you unzip the critter, the amount of internal damage is incredible, and way out of proportion to what one would initially think...........

Back