Just purchased.. A savage 11 in 204.

xLuckorSkill

Anyone else own, or shoot one? I'd like to get some first hand accounts of what loads you used to save fur. Hows the round on shoulder shots? Weather has been so nasty I haven't gotten to take it out yet. But I would like to soon. Eventually I'll have the equipment to reload as well. So if you have loads you like for your rifle and don't mind sharing I'd like to hear about it! Thanks.

Welcome to PM, & CONGRATS on the new smoke pole!
thumbup1.gif

BUT.........................................

I have several 204's. It seems that a hot load of H4895 and a 35gr Berger shoot good in all the rifles I have tried it in. Benchmark is another good powder IMO. Stay off the big bones with the 35 Bergers.

In factory loads, I like Hornady's 32 gr. V-max. I tried their 40 gr. Vmax and it would not group with the 32's. I handload the same bullet (32) but it would not help to try and find the powder ........ Rl 11 ........ been out of circulation for some 40 plus years!

But I am not a fur saver ....... I have seen some mess and seen it stay inside on a neck shot ..... but all died!

Enjoy your new rifle and welcome to Predator Masters ........ may your stay be enjoyable and fruitful!

Three 44s

Last edited:

Here she is. I now have a Remington R15 in 223. And this savage 11 in 204 ruger. I'm going to camo the stock soon as I have some extra scratch.

Last edited:
It should. My browning abolt shot the superformance 32 grain pretty well to dial the scope in and collect brass until I started loading the berger's.

Forgot to add these where both in 40. Heavier than I wanted. I'm also going to save brass and get a dye. I've herd 35g Berger is where it's at for 204 loads.

My CZ .204 likes the 40 grain Hornady V-max,the Winchester 32 grain bullets and last and finally the best groups were with the Federal Loaded 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings which I would reccomend the most.You can't get them from Federal any more but since You mentioned reloading bullets Yourself,You can buy their (Sierra) Bullets and re-load them!

The .204 is very fast and flat shooting with great knock-down power and is easy on the fur with good shot placement!

Last edited:
GTOHunter As for shot placement with this round should I be going for heart and lungs for all shots for is the shoulder advisable? Depends on the load and range?

I just bought one too!!!
I've only grouped hornady superformance 40 grain v-maxes but I will look no further! They are incredible.Going to try to post pics

Last edited:
Back