Use monocular with PVS-14?

JCCinOhio

Anyone use a hand held monocular in front of their PVS-14s to 'zoom in' on something quickly? I use my PVS-14 mounted on my head, so was looking for a way to see further on short notice to help make positive ID.

Sounds like a neat idea, but wouldn't it put a log of weight on the noggin. Ive got a 3x lens on mine and it is just too much weight to hang on my head. I use mine in hand and swing it from a lanyard when idle.

I would think you would lose a lot of light trying to see through that much glass but I could be wrong. I have a 3x magnifier as well but mine was weapons mounted with an IR laser.

Last edited:
What kind of monocular were you thinking of?

How does that weapon mounted one with laser work for you? I thought about doing that and put a laser on, but got worried about recoil affecting the pvs14 (even though it is said to be ok)

It worked really well for hunting coyotes never a problem on an AR. The reason I said was weapons mounted is that I upgraded to a D760 but I still have the PVS14 and the LDI laser and would not hesitate to use it again.

I bet that would work well, but you would see some light loss for sure. Be kinda hard to hold steady might need a common rail for them, maybe some quick detach LaRue type hookups on a piece of picatinny?

I would use someone's pair of binoculars or a monocular to test out your theory first before dumping a lot of money into one. In general I would guess that there would not be enough light available to get a decent view through a smaller objective lens monocular designed for daytime viewing. The standard 3x magnifier designed for the PVS-14 has a 50 or 60mm objective lens.

Kevin

Sounds like good advice Kevin. I've got a pvs14 with a 3x magnifier and I definitely see some light loss with it. I like it for scanning though.

Back