group issues with my 223

The 53 Gr Vmax needs a faster twist than the 55 because it is a longer bullet by design which is what gives it a BC of .290. Having said that it should stabilize all day long in a 1 in 12 it's the 1 in 14 that it has problems with. It is more likely your particular gun did not like them.

Most likely something optics related but why not try some deifferent ammo.Sooner or later you'll need more anyway.With Barry in the WH an ammo shortage is a distinct possibility.

Originally Posted By: Canuck Clay
IMG_20141106_210531_hdr.jpg.html

I'm not sure what you're shooting for with this post, but whatever it is didn't happen.

Can your borrow someone's lead sled to make sure that your shooting as accurately as possible with your rifle? I can't remember if you said how you were shooting. Are you shooting off a bench rest with sand bags or free hand?

Ammo, twist rate and length of the barrel can be culprets as well as the trigger.

I'd recommend shooting some good ammo that's compatible with your rifle's barrel twist rate etc. Then if there is still a problem I'd change up the ammo and try some various weights and types to see if anything tightens up.

Next I'd check the snugness of the rings and any part of the optics system that's screwed onto the rifle's barrel or receiver. Did you use lock tite on the screws for the optics system to prevent the screws from losing up? That's a good thing to check too.

Does your rifle scope's reticles move freely when you turn the adjusting screws? Does the scope track properly?

If you tried all the above and then still suspect the scope then only then would I replace the scope. Did you lap the scope to the rings?

There are a lot of different factors that contribute to tight groups from what I been hearing and reading.

Wind can even be a factor
smile.gif

And I'd be amiss if I didn't mention checking your eye sight too. Remember that the human is a big factor in the weapons system hitting the target accurately and with precision.

Canuck Clay, have you reinstalled and tightened the bases and rings or changed the scope yet? Or shot other ammo? Or, pulled the action out of the stock and reinstalled after making sure everything is fitted right and torqed?

Cancuck,

I have two 223 rifles and one is the LVSF with the J-lock. I am replacing the j-lock with gre-tan one and will wring it out.

That said...I cannot believe you paid $600 for that scope! Next time ask on any of the forums of opinions on accessories to make sure you are getting your worth. IMO anything from China is not going to be of the same quality. If you are now hard up on money get a pair of Nikon's as I think they are good quality and can work in a pinch. You can get a VX-II Leupold for $300 new or used for $225 and these are fine choices as well.

I am still miffed that you got raped over this POJ scope but if you learn from this you can be ahead when you buy scopes from now on.

Also if you are not a reloader you are limited by factory fodder. Reloading opens the door more but I have read that factory loads are much better from days gone by.

Scorpion looks like a Canadian thing after I googled them. Based off the price they should be decent but who knows.

Best case maybe the scope is good and its the rings and or the bases, or the action isn't seated and bolted in tight. Check the clearance of the mag well box to stock that it is not binding or the stock is not flexing and putting pressure deferently on the barrel on each shot. If its the stock I think it is it shouldn't touch at all, but I have heard they were flexible.

Maybe it is the scope. I am not familiar with this brand but if it's right up there with Leapers...well, maybe. I've been at this for a pretty good while now and in almost 40 years of messing around with guns I have only seen 2 factual, for certain bad scopes that wouldn't hold zero. Even the cheap ones that disintegrated in my hands {BSA, Leapers} still held zero. They were junk and I tried to tell the owners, but when it comes to believing you are saving some money...Maybe I have just been lucky, but I doubt it.
I have seen plenty of loose rings and bases, plenty of loose actions in stocks, my share of fouled barrels, even a few bad barrels, many a shooter that just couldn't shoot, but the actual scope itself is way down the list. Yet it is always the first thing people say is bad. Kind of like when I worked on cars..."it's the coil" I have seen 2 bad ignition coils in my entire life...or when you have a strange electrical problem on a vehicle, "it's a bad ground." People just have to repeat what they hear. By the way, did I mention I saw a black panther the other day...yep, it screamed just like a woman!!!!!

Good point about the barrel. Is this a new or used rifle? Point being, how clean is the bore?

Might be a good idea to give it a good cleaning with JB Bore paste. Can't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishGood point about the barrel. Is this a new or used rifle? Point being, how clean is the bore?

Might be a good idea to give it a good cleaning with JB Bore paste. Can't hurt anything.

I'll second that...and it would be the second thing I did if it was brought into my shop for evaluation. The first would be to stick a borescope down the pipe and have a good look. It is unbelievable to many a shooter, until you show them, just how bad a fouled up bore will fail to shoot. Also, there is a difference between a fouled bore and a fouling bore...the first might shoot fine for a long time once cleaned out. A fouling bore may only get 15-20 rounds out of it before the groups open up only to do it again when you clean it. It's rare but I have seen two barrels that just seemed to never break in.

Originally Posted By: msincMaybe it is the scope. I am not familiar with this brand but if it's right up there with Leapers...well, maybe. I've been at this for a pretty good while now and in almost 40 years of messing around with guns I have only seen 2 factual, for certain bad scopes that wouldn't hold zero. Even the cheap ones that disintegrated in my hands {BSA, Leapers} still held zero. They were junk and I tried to tell the owners, but when it comes to believing you are saving some money...Maybe I have just been lucky, but I doubt it.
I have seen plenty of loose rings and bases, plenty of loose actions in stocks, my share of fouled barrels, even a few bad barrels, many a shooter that just couldn't shoot, but the actual scope itself is way down the list. Yet it is always the first thing people say is bad. Kind of like when I worked on cars..."it's the coil" I have seen 2 bad ignition coils in my entire life...or when you have a strange electrical problem on a vehicle, "it's a bad ground." People just have to repeat what they hear. By the way, did I mention I saw a black panther the other day...yep, it screamed just like a woman!!!!!

There's a 3rd for you
laugh.gif

It started life brand new and mounted on a 30-06, it lasted 2 seasons before it developed what I call a wandering zero. It would group fine, then it would group fine 2" high and 2" right. Then it would group fine another 2" high and 2" left.

Then I would re zero and it would group fine before repeating.

So it went onto progressively lighter calibers until I took it squirrel hunting on a 10/22 when it finally failed entirely. And I needed SOMETHING to make sure my irons were on...
laugh.gif

Tasco "world class", which they had improved quality dramatically, guy at cabellas sold me on before I knew better. I still have the scope, plan on keeping it forever!

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishman, that scope has seen a few miles of bad road LOL

Hehehe, I hated that scope for years. The retical canted 45 degrees when I was adjusting it for the upteenth time. Pulled it and chucked it in a field and then checked the irons. Now it's one of my favorites! Beware the man pig hunting in another state with time to kill!

Originally Posted By: NdIndyOriginally Posted By: msincMaybe it is the scope. I am not familiar with this brand but if it's right up there with Leapers...well, maybe. I've been at this for a pretty good while now and in almost 40 years of messing around with guns I have only seen 2 factual, for certain bad scopes that wouldn't hold zero. Even the cheap ones that disintegrated in my hands {BSA, Leapers} still held zero. They were junk and I tried to tell the owners, but when it comes to believing you are saving some money...Maybe I have just been lucky, but I doubt it.

There's a 3rd for you
laugh.gif

It started life brand new and mounted on a 30-06, it lasted 2 seasons before it developed what I call a wandering zero. It would group fine, then it would group fine 2" high and 2" right. Then it would group fine another 2" high and 2" left.

Then I would re zero and it would group fine before repeating.

So it went onto progressively lighter calibers until I took it squirrel hunting on a 10/22 when it finally failed entirely. And I needed SOMETHING to make sure my irons were on...
laugh.gif

Tasco "world class", which they had improved quality dramatically, guy at cabellas sold me on before I knew better. I still have the scope, plan on keeping it forever!

I wont count that one as a third...scopes that fall into a meat grinder don't count!!!!! Seriously dude...whiskey tango foxtrot on that thing???? Did it make you mad after the fact or what???

Back