Good deer load for 22-250?

As others have said, the Barnes should work well if you put it where it needs to be. +1 on the 60 grain Nosler Partition for me though. I have taken 3 mule deer the past three years, all one shot kills at 30, 250, and 350 yrds (all ranged). This years was the 350 yrd shot on a forked horn with complete pass through breaking ribs on both sides. I had hesitation at first with all the nay sayers, but am a firm believer in shooting what you shoot the best. I put a lot of rounds through my Stevens/Savage every year predator hunting, and know exactly where it will go if I do my part. Good luck! You have made a good choice.

My 10 year old killed two nice, healty whitetail does Saturday with his Encore in 22-250. We have him shooting a 45 grain Barnes TSX backed with H4895. Shoulder shots on both deer with entrance and exit holes. Great wound channels. One was DRT, the other traveled 50 yards before piling up. That one also left an excellent blood trail, although not needed.
Both deer were taken at 70 yards.
I have not been able to get the 60 grain partition to stabilize in my 14 twist rifles.

Great post. I have a young lady hunter (15) that was needing a rifle to borrow. I wanted to let her use my Tikka 22-250 but I did not have any ammo that were suited for deer IMO. I use this gun mostly for coyote with 50gr Superformance VMax. Never a exit hole so not a deer load. I was looking hard at the 60gt Partitions as they do a excelent job in my 7mm Mag,30-06 and .270. I would like to load some 60gr NP's but as was said the Tikka at 1-14 twist may not shoot them well.

My opinion would be to use a larger caliber, saying that you can definitely kill a deer with a 22-250 no doubt about it. As to the bullet I believe the Barnes would be the best choice of manufactures. Barnes work great for me when it comes to expansion. I don’t like shooting bullets that separate jacket from core, especially from manufactures that claim they won’t. No problem there with Barnes.

Back