Building a 221 fireball 1-9twist upper?

Travis224

Just asking if anyone has done it in the interest of shooting a heavier "near subsonic" round and bullet and build an upper to shoot to 200 yds and less with a suppressor. Anyone else think of doing a specific build like this? If so, explain the results if you went thru with it. Thanks

Is there a specific reason you want to use .221 fireball? Why not go with a 300 blk if you want to shoot suppressed ?

Well, it's a valid point but I shoot a TON of 224 bullets so I'd like to keep to that caliber. I already have the 221 dies too.. I figured build for build, I could be a little cheaper using 224.

You know, it seems to me that it should work. I just go through putting some .221 brass through one of my AR-15 magazines and it worked fine. I think that you would might have to get another gas tube and of course you would have to seat your bullets out quite a ways but there would be plenty of room when using a magazine designed for .223 length rounds.

Have you put this question to anyone on AR-15.com? If anyone would know someone there should.

Keep us posted as to how it works out.

Magazines ara a bit problematic on that FB case in the AR from what I have heard. I don't know of anyone chambering the barrel in an AR. Just not enough interest I suspect.

Greg

Well, I would also solve the issue of getting a bullet seated out far enough...it chamfering would be easy, I have several barrels made from bolt guns turned them into AR uppers. 17rem being the likeliest to have issues and it's a flawless performer.

IMHO... You are either subsonic or you're not. If I were looking to run something subsonic from an AR I'd be looking at the 300 black or 300/221 or 300 whisper. All of which are very similar. If not running subsonic, pick whatever round you want.
I shoot a 221fb supressed but in a bolt gun not an AR.

If your going to shoot 22 cal subsonic you should shoot 22LR. If your going to shoot 30 subsonic you should shoot 300 BLK. If you use anything with larger case your just wasting powder and efficiency.

Back