3 shot groups, barrel heat, yada yada yada

I guess my real point, is that it shouldn't matter. A good barrel is going to stack three put downrange just as fast as you can get off good shots just as tightly as it will letting the barrel get cold. And, actually, for most of us mere mortals who don't read conditions particularly well, usually the machine gun group will be better.

- DAA[/quote]
It comes down to recent muscle memory for me. If I(machine gun)the groups my hold is the same and I can tell through the reticle on follow thru. If I take a break between shots my cheekweld and hold change and shows after the shot accordingly.... That break usually translates into a .25 difference.

Last edited:
I have 3 carbine length 788's 243 308 7mm-08. With that said all 3 guns have heavy sporter barrels. As a matter of fact I have a 6mm and 222 with 22 inch barrels and they are lighter than the carbines. My 22-250 with a 24 inch barrel and heavy sporter contour is the heaviest.I have seen a lot of other 788 carbines and NONE have the skinny barrel you describe. Are you sure its original? Not that it matters for the problem you describe.These guns were a cheap alternative to the 700 and with that being said, 5/8 2nd 3/4 inch groups for a cheap gun are fantastic its not a custom bench gun.

I think I have been expecting to much out of the little rifle. It will consistantly shoot one inch groups and some under so I am going to call it plenty good enough. I'm always looking for bugholes but some rifles just won't get you there. Time to quit worrying about bugholes and go chase some song dogs.

Back