ATF for a lubricant?

Finally got around to looking at the Ed`s Red that ninehorses linked..
Reportedly works good for killin` fire ants too
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesWhere have you guy's been? Ya'll never heard of "Ed's Red". Lots of old gunsmiths swear by it. Here is the recipe.

frfrogspad

Thanks! I've heard about Reds but that link has a ton of good reading.

I made a gallon sized batch of Ed's about 20 years ago. Seemed like a pretty worthless bore cleaner for rifles, and I never use any oil at all on my bolt rifles, so it has mostly been used as penetrating and other alternate uses. And I still have most of it left, 20 years later.

- DAA

I've been using a mix of 50/50 ATF and motor oil for years on all my guns. Works well and sticks better than that thin "gun oil" that comes with every firearm cleaning kit.

ATF was originally developed as a "synthetic" (read: non-organic) replacement for sperm whale oil, which was originally used in automatic transmissions. Read old gunsmithing books and they tell you that sperm oil was THE BEST lube available. It was widely used in many industries for its superb lubricating properties. Makes me wonder why ATF would NOT be an effective lubricant for guns. Any professional auto mechanics here? I'll bet you know at least one person who soaks the heads of his air ratchets (and other air tools) in ATF every night, and they last him 2-3 times longer than yours. I'll bet it works just fine on guns.

Last edited:
I don't know what the active "ingredient" is in Dexron type fluid, but in the days of old {type F, etc.} the magic component was nothing more than mineral oil. They put the red color in it so a mechanic would know if the transmission ever ran hot. It would turn brown and smell funny. I don't know what one would gain by using it on a gun. I like RIG grease myself. As above, guns really don't need much as far as lube is concerned, but where they need it you had best have it. A prime example of this is the Winchester Model 12...you better keep the end of the action bar greased good or the little tab that locks the bolt will wear and then the gun blows itself open when you fire it.
Personally, my guns need more rust preventative than they need some type of special oil and I find that RIG grease works the best for that too.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunter acetone will eat a stainless barrel,

Not sure where you are getting this info but acetone is a high solvent...long before it could ever "eat" stainless it evaporates. Once it evaporates it doesn't leave anything behind unless something else was dissolved in it. I know gun grade alloys of stainless are not that rich in chromium and will rust if neglected enough. However, it is still stainless and not much of anything "eats" it...hence the name stainless.

Jack Belk a former teacher at the Colorado school of trades gunsmithing school and former president of the American gunsmithing guild told me to use ATF because it was just as good as Rem oil and some others and a whole lot cheaper.

So I still do.

I would stay away from the ATF if it were me. ATF has a bunch of ingredients in it that are designed for conditioning clutch's and could harm bluing and finishes. I run Mobil-1 in 0W-20. Its more expensive than ATF, but a quart will last me until I'm long gone and in the ground.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunter acetone will eat a stainless barrel,

No, acetone will not "eat" or otherwise harm stainless.

Why would you even think about using acetone on a firearm anyway?

2 parts ATF, 1 part 10W-30 and makes a thick lubricating oil that does not run or turn into a gummy mess. My case lubricant for sizing consist of melted anhydrous lanolin and adding ATF and 10W-30...portions of each varys each time I make it. When the mix cools it thickens and if too thin, I add more lanolin, too thick, add more oil. Rubbing a small amount over a case then sizing is very smooth.

I have used Marvel Mystery oil with no noticeable bad effects on my bolt guns and my DI AR and my piston AR, Granted I am in Arizona and don't have extreme cold temps. I would think that ATF would work fine also.

Last edited:
Back