I have officially crossed over to the dARk side.

It had to happen. AR's look like too much fun to pass up, so this weekend I ordered one up.

Mossberg MMR Hunter 20 inch flat top in Mossy Oak Brush. Ordered from Buds Gun Shop, this is my first straight mail order firearms buy, so we'll see how it goes. Price was right if the thing actually shows up without a bunch of hassle.

The Mossberg was the best value I could find in a name-brand rifle with a 20 inch barrel with components of known origin/quality. The reviews have been consistent, reasonable accuracy, trigger not great.

I ordered up a Nikon 4x12 223 scope and M223 mount already, so when the AR gets here, I'll have her ready to go quickly.

Spent last night whipping up some test ammo batches at the bench. Lots of fun stuff to try.

Will post a report when it comes in and I can get to the range.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishbad triggers on an AR are easy to fix. it just takes some money

Yes, I've already been eyeballing drop-in solutions, but we'll see how it goes. While it would be nice to have a great trigger out of box, that seems to happen only when the budget gets expanded by 3-400 at least. Which I didn't want to do.

Are there any options for improving the existing trigger?

Grouse

SWFA has a black friday deal on Timney small pin 3# triggers for about $152. This is a single stage trigger & what I have in my grendel.

Congratulations on the new rifle purchase, hope you like it.
I am able to shoot fairly well with a factory trigger but it was surprising to me what a difference that a trigger upgrade could make.
I recently did some swapping of parts and trading..(my last build), and found that with a little bit of work with a stone, and JP spring swap gave me a much better trigger that has never(yet) failed to fire a CCI #41 primer.

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseHooked, do those springs really work? With any AR trigger or just some models?

I might have to try those. Pretty cheap if they make any improvement at all.

Grouse

The JP Reduced Power Springs will swap in any milspec fire control group like on the Mossberg rifles. It won't make the trigger a $200 trigger but it should bring down the pull weight a bit.

Using a Trigger Adjuster will take out most of the pretravel out of the trigger of a typical "meh" AR trigger.

Last edited:
Is Joe Bob's having any Black Friday sales?

Throw us a bone, how's about free shipping on any order?
thumbup.gif
All Predator Masters members get a % off for one day only?
smile.gif

Grouse gotta get a deal.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseIs Joe Bob's having any Black Friday sales?

Throw us a bone, how's about free shipping on any order?
thumbup.gif
All Predator Masters members get a % off for one day only?
smile.gif

Grouse gotta get a deal.

Grouse

We'll be running sales starting within the next 48hrs. You can sign up for email newsletters here:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/MailingList_subscribe.asp

Those products wouldn't be affected...and we couldn't afford to do free shipping on $10 springs unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishwill they fit a Colt or does pin size matter?

I'd assume it wouldn't matter but you might drop a line to JP to confirm. We've never had that asked before.

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseIt had to happen. AR's look like too much fun to pass up, so this weekend I ordered one up.

Mossberg MMR Hunter 20 inch flat top in Mossy Oak Brush. Ordered from Buds Gun Shop, this is my first straight mail order firearms buy, so we'll see how it goes. Price was right if the thing actually shows up without a bunch of hassle.

I've bought several guns from Bud's. They're a great outfit to deal with!

Why does everyone say " I've joined the dark side ", if you ask me your just coming into the light. Lol. I love my AR's and will never be without at least one. I hope you enjoy your new toy and may you kill many vermin and targets. Have fun and enjoy...

Back