Hand Calls

Ran6er

OK I need a couple of them I think. I don't know as I'm new to this.

I'm thinking I need a call that can Howl and bark.
I will need a distress call of some sort.
I was thinking a squeaker to pull them in that last little bit might be good as well.

Can I get all those in one call?

How do I know how to operate them? Some have videos, others just descriptions on the package. Is there a place to get a reference sound that I can try and imitate?

I am not impressed with the options available in the chain stores so please help with some options. . . . .
Thanks

I would send a Private Message to any of the custom call makers with what you would like to obtain...Most of them can fix you up at a very reasonable cost and many have sound files that you can down load to your computer for something on which to practice...

It's going to be a little hard to get one hand call that does that wide of a variety...I picked up a small 'Female Howler' from Bearmanric and a 'Rubber Rabbit' from Kerry Carver that are somewhat my standby callers...I've picked up quite a variety from many of the others, some for specialty areas and some go with me on a routine basis..

I sent my grandfather's old Huntsman horn to one of the call makers several years ago and he converted it to a really great howler...I think it can be heard into the next county...

I would suggest you get a call or two from one of the custom call makers on this forum, such as Bearmanric or Kerry Carver. A good open reed will allow you to make pup howls, kiyi's, and all kinds of distress calls. It is hard to get an open reed that is as loud as a cowhorn or buffalo horn howler, but many of them will get you a long ways toward your goal. There are posts giving instructions on this forum.

Carvers "Strictly Business" call set will get you started nicely. Thats what i started with and they are well made and easy to blow.

Lots of good call makers here, but I'll throw out another name from this site. Look at Yotehntr's calls. They are the only ones I have and they are all beautiful.

i would not get any call from the box stores a custom call will get you a better sound with less air i use rare earth calls myself but any custom call will get you going

Originally Posted By: john007Disagree, Dan Thompson and Sceery are good store bought calls .

So is the the Tally-Ho and the Verminators calls are also good.

NO one call will do every little thing you want it to do.

Taking one call to the field is like taking one worm fishing.

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: john007Disagree, Dan Thompson and Sceery are good store bought calls .

NO one call will do every little thing you want it to do.

Taking one call to the field is like taking one worm fishing.

I've had many occasions where I end a stand with a different call (still a Cottontail or Jack rabbit), and have a coyote get up 4-500 yards out and come on in. I KNOW they heard my first call, but did not respond to it. The 2nd call could have been a wood barrel, plastic or acrylic, it's happened with each call.

I've had the same thing happen while calling Elk and ducks. Call 'A' get's no response, I switch to call 'B' or 'C' and I'm the Pied Piper.

Try some out. Blow some different ones and get what feels comfortable to you. I've purchased several different ones from many open reed howlers, also some diaphragms. I have settled in on Tony Tebbe's calls. I bought a set from him and I have a hard time using anything else, they're great. I don't get any unexpected off note sounds when I blow any of them. Google him go to his web site and look them over. I'm not an advertiser for Tony, I have never met him (hope to someday) but his calls are the best I've used.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHCarvers "Strictly Business" call set will get you started nicely. Thats what i started with and they are well made and easy to blow.

This

Just ordered a set yesterday from Kerry Carver. Very reasonably priced and from what I read on this site I expect they'll be good quality. Look into it.

Check out Reese Outdoors at reeselanyards.com
Awesome quality hand made calls that I've had great success using. Let me know if you would like a set and I'll get you a price.

I like Brian Combs call the Death Wish. It is a closed reed call. I just got one of his open reed and it sounds really good also.
Good luck

Back