6mm Dasher or 6/250

scouteyes

Guys I am planning a new build based off of 1 of these 2. Research put's them very close together ballistically. I'm building off of what I have on hand. A cz24 Mauser action trued (free). And a 1-8 twist bbl. 250 or so new 22-250 piece's off brass, Gunsmith has 100 or so piece's of dasher brass he will throw in if I go dasher. He has dasher reamer on hand but would have to rent the 6-250 reamer, added cost. I want a low recoil duel purpose coyote, deer and 600yd steel shooter that better is more efficient than the 243 and the 6mm REM. An better bbl life. What's your thoughts on this? Wanting to shoot 90gr bullets and up. Steel shooting for fun not comp.
Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Since you will be getting the Dasher brass already, that takes away one item in favor of the '250. The Dasher is a lot more work to make brass, and less useful while fireforming as it gains a lot of capacity when the shoulder blows forward.

Used to be the Lapua BR brass was a big item in favor of the Dasher. Less so now, with Lapua '250 brass available. But, sounds like you already have your '250 brass, which may or may not be Lapua. Brass is one of the biggies, to me - could even be the deciding factor, depending?

Small primer vs. large. Accuracy advantage generally given to the small. But, for this application, I don't know that it will make a measurable difference. Might even make an argument for the large, if you end up burning log powder in low temps.

From a clean slate, I'd probably do the Dasher. But...

Decisions, decisions... Eh?

- DAA

From a clean slate, I would go 6x47 Lapua.

---Cheap(er) dies readily available.

---Lapua brass available

---Easier case forming

---Better long range at 800-900 yards

---Can run the really heavies that the Dasher can't like 115 D-Tacs and Bergers

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunFrom a clean slate, I would go 6x47 Lapua.

---Cheap(er) dies readily available.

---Lapua brass available

---Easier case forming

---Better long range at 800-900 yards

---Can run the really heavies that the Dasher can't like 115 D-Tacs and Bergers

This!

Thanks Daa that's what I'm looking for thing's I didn't take into consideration like small primers w/stick powder in the cold.
Furhunter, yes the 6-47 lap. Has the advantage of shooting the heavier bullets, but I don't see how its cheaper than the dasher or the 6-250. Looking at Graf&Sons catalog the prices of brass an dies are almost identical. I really need to know where you buy your reloading supplies at lol.760 that's a sweet rig. A 6-47 lap?
Thanks guys
Jim

Last edited:
I would vote Dasher. If you want to shoot .1 groups, the Dasher is known for that. The others listed, not so much. As far as the primer thing, and cold weather, I'm calling BS. Better tell our military that their 5.56 rifles are no good in the cold. If you look at long range scores-records, bench or F-Class, the Dasher wins that over anything listed. Name one major match won, or record broken with a 6-250.

I have made 6.5 x47 Lapua from Remington 22/250 brass, wonderful accuracy.

I have personally seen hang fires with a 22 Cheatah loaded with 42g of IMR 4064 with 52g Sierra's when weather was 50*.

Wolf small rifle magnum primers are EXTREMELY HOT, get them while you can, when they are gone, they are gone.

Feeding with the 6x47Lapua is a no brainer...you are building a hunting rifle. I was just talking to a fellow board member that shoots an 8 twist on his 6x47L and his accuracy load with the 80g Sierra was border line 3500 fps...that is no slouch coyote load!

One cartridge that no one ever considers is the 6/250 AI...something to think about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scouteyesThanks Daa that's what I'm looking for thing's I didn't take into consideration like small primers w/stick powder in the cold.

760 that's a sweet rig. A 6-47 lap?
Thanks guys
Jim

Its a 6,5x47 Lapua. And CCI 450's light a heft dose of RL-17 just fine. JME.

I'd do a 6x47 lapua too. Brass isn't cheap but once u have it you'll have it for a long time. Not all that sure what you'll get for velocity with the heavies with it I'm shooting 68gr bergers at 3770 nd 69gr bergers at 3700 with 39.5 gr of varget. I have a load worked up for 95 gr bergers but it's kinda mild I didn't have to many of the bullets so I just went with the first load I tried and it shoot those at 3100. It is an extremely easy round to find loads for it just seemed to shoot everything I tried and that was out of two different barrels. As of recently I bought a barrel for a savage in 6.5x47 and I'm shooting 130gr nosler accubonds at just over 3000 fps with sub extreme accuracy.

I built a 6x250 a couple years ago and never fell in love with it. Reamed it to 6XC and its superb. I make my XC and 6.5x47 brass from once fired 22-250. I would like to play with the 6x47 lapua but i have read they are quite finicky.

Dasher if you need tack driving accuracy, /250 if you worry about the future availability of brass, the /47 of you want to go somewhere in between.... the way things are going these days with brass and all the other nonsense I's stay with something normal, 6mm rem, 243 win...especially if you going to be using it for hunting where benchrest accuracy is not needed.

Well guys looks like the 6/47 lapua is going to be my new build. Thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts on this subject.
Jim

Great choice. I will have one of them in the near future. It's about 3rd on my list for now.

I've heard that Lapua is going to make 6x47 L brass. Proper headstamp brass would be very cool.

Back