Tikka T3 lite barrel Floating Action bedding other Improvements??

jk2paintworx

I just picked up a T3 lite with a composite stock and notice that the barrel is not floated. There is a small lug nuilt into the stock where it looks like it is meant to be touching the barrel but the stock also touches the sides of the barrel out further towards the muzzel. Any body play around with floating the barrel or bedding the action... Any other accurizing thricks for the T3

ya. I shot it. I can get two shots almost touching and then a flier about 1"-1.5". Didnt shoot alot after I got scope set up because of barrel heat.

Hmmmmmm Might want to read my posts on barrel heat and three shot groups. Guess you and me are the only ones that have this problem.
unsure.gif

Factory ammo or handloads? Could be the ammo, that's what I'm saying or possibly the shooter as well. I'm not saying you can't shoot, just pointing out other possibilities..

Lots of variables, obviously too many to try a pinpoint.
1.5" flyer is pronounced. Did you have a good rest or have you adjusted the trigger? I do the shoot n clean and have found the groups tighten up a bit after some shooting. The groups seem best after a few boxes down the tube.
Some people are best served with a firm trigger pull. Myself a light trigger is much better.

I have a t3 lite in a 243 with a synthetic stock as well. My factory stock had the same contact point as well a few inches foward of the action. I was getting about the same groups as you except my flyer wasnt as bad. I then ordered a mountain tactical laminate stock. Now i havent bedded the stock yet but i am still running into problems. Somedays this gun will shoot .25" groups and other days it will shoot 1.25" groups all with the same handloads. I also give this rifle plenty of time to cool between shots and groups as well. Typically i'll go 5 minutes between shots and 15 minutes after every 3 shot group. I am hoping that bedding will solve this.

I am new to centerfire but have lots of benchrest rimfire experience. I am using the benchrest and bag setup and its pretty steady. The ammo is Winchester white and red box that many suggested (I think its 45g).
The trigger is as I received. Not sure of the weight. Its a clean trigger but nothing like my 2 stage Kidd trigger in my match rifles. Feels like a good field/hunting trigger pull.
I cleaned the barrel after I received the rifle (its a used rifle by the way).

I am a little ahead of myself with modifying the rifle since I havent truely tested it or got used to shooting it. I am just curious about things guys have good luck with and or things to watch for.

Also I was not waiting nearly as long between shots as Motown. Is it required to wait 5 min between shots?

It was 43 deg the day I was shooting and I shot about haf box in about a hour?

For a brand new rifle clean it very well before the first round is fired. Factories put some nasty stuff in barrel to preserve them.
It would hurt to clean a rifle that was bought used when you first get it.
Annealing your brass may help with the unexplained flyers. It sure helped mine!

Check out "Tikkashooters.com" They sell after market recoil lugs for Tikka's (around $29) They claim they fit the recoil lug on the action more exactly.

Also, try some of the 50 grain superformance ammo, seems by your comment above that you haven't tried anything in the 50 grain bullet yet.

tikkaperformance is currently out of stock of the recoil lug. Its on the list though. My next range trip will be testing ammo. The last trip was mostly sighting in and I only group tested winchester 45. I have several other options to try next time.

What is the best way to test ammo? How long between shots and groups and switching ammo... The weather here is in the 40's so hopefully that will help the barrel cool faster.

In those temps, I generally slow fire a 5 shot group and wait about 5 minutes before the next. I think you'll probably see better results with one of the other two types of bullets.

Im looking forward to dng the ammo testing. As I mentioned earlier, my only prior experience has been shootguns and .22 benchrest. This centerfire thing is a whole new world. Building the match grade .22 rifles is alot of fun but once its all dialed in and shooting tiny little 1 hole groups it kinda got boring for me. The 22-250 will give me something else to do at the range and I can shoot my .17 and .22 while the barrel cools.

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for all the newb questions.

I have the same rifle in 22-250. I have found really good results with the Sierra 53 grain hp match bullets small groups confirmed out to 200 yards using varget powder

Back