Black coyote tonight

1trkyhntr

Killed this black coyote tonight. We set up in a field and put the Fusion on top of a round bail about 15 yds beside us. We started with Eastern Cottontail for about 10 minutes, saw 1 heat signature out about 100 yds but whatever it was it would not commit. Switched to Titmouse Tantrum for another 8 minutes and a heat signature appeared just at the edge of the knoll. It moved in closer but hung up at about 75 yds by some other hay bails. I switched to Vole Squeaks and I could see it pick up it's head and start in to the call. My buddy turned on the Coyote Light and confirmed that it was a coyote. It kept coming, right up to the hay roll that the call was on. I whispered "kill it". Nothing. "kill it". Nothing. "kill it!" BOOM. What I could not see was that my buddy was using the BogPod tripod and it had gotten hung up in grass so he was having a hard time getting everything lined up, but at 15 yds it did not matter. One 55gr Hornady Varmint Express and the coyote stumbled/ran/stumbled for about 30 yds before falling for the last time. I watched it through the FLIR and saw it go down.
My buddy walked out to recover it but he could not find it in the grass. I was looking at it the whole time through the FLIR, he said that he could not see it, I said "you're standing right on top of it". He finally did see it but I credit the FLIR with playing a big part in the recovery. The more experience I get with the FLIR, the more I'm impressed.

Great job! Thermal definitely makes a guy realize how much is missed when hunting without it. It has definitely helped me on recovery a couple times...thick grass, crawling in brush piles and down in holes...can't hide from thermal!

Yes, FLIR PS32 Scout.

Black is not uncommon here. I shot a black yearling about 3 weeks ago and saw another black yearling dead in the road a few days later about 1/2 mile away.
The land owner of the property where we killed this coyote told me about seeing a large black coyote a couple of times. I drove over there the morning before this hunt to scout and saw a black coyote out in the field, definitely bigger than the one that we killed in this post, so that one is still there.

I tried a tripod & switched to the tall Primos bipod trigger sticks because of legs getting hung up in deeper snow.

Congrats on a real beauty !

Back