This boar liked green grapes. PICTURES!

derbyacresbob

042-3.jpg

A friend of mine killed this big boar yesterday about 1-1/2 miles away from a vinyard.

060-1.jpg

The big pig had been eating some grapes.

065.jpg

Quite a few of the grapes were whole grapes that had not been chewed on.

068.jpg

It didn't take long to figure out this pig ate a bunch of grapes!

069-1.jpg

All the green stuff in this picture is grapes!

Hogs are common carriers of Brucellosis. NO WAY I'm going to be handling stomach contents without latex gloves.

Neat pics, though.

Tag it, bag it, ferment it.....swine wine !
Nice pig , any details like weight, caliber, bullet(copper) ?
Shot looks to be forward of the grapes, I mean guts.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoHogs are common carriers of Brucellosis. NO WAY I'm going to be handling stomach contents without latex gloves.

Neat pics, though.

I was thinking exactly the same thing... In Florida, where I am, the Wildlife Commission reports that about 50% of wild hogs carry Brucellosis and that stuff can kill you as quick and as surely as about anything. If you DO survive you'll probably be an invalid the rest of your life.

One small cut in your skin while you're handing a wild hog carcass leaves you at risk and that's a very bad risk to take.

$bob$

A friend of the family came down with brucellosis and has messed him up for life! Hes lucky he survived. He also told that it can be passed sexually to your spouse or significant other.

959px-Brucellosis_in_Wild_Swine%2C_distribution_in_USA.svg.png

Red= confirmed. Yellow = serologic evidence, blue = absent

It is probably in MS and they just have not found it.

In the United States, B. suis was the first biological agent weaponized in 1952, and was field-tested with B. suis-filled bombs called M33 cluster bombs. It is, however, considered to be one of the agents of lesser threat because many infections are asymptomatic and the mortality is low, but it is used more as an incapacitating agent.

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/news/brochures/TAHCBrochure_SwineBrucellosis.pdf

If you read the fact sheet it recommends using goggles when handling hogs to prevent fluids from getting in your eyes, but I do not know anyone who uses goggles.

Last edited:
Nice map. But not entirely accurate. My wife is a veterinarian and she personally knows one person who has been infected here in Tennessee. She has seen several dogs that were infected also.

Canine brucellosis is caused by a different species of Brucella than the species that infects swine and also has different geographic distributions than the swine disease.

Both species are pathogenic for humans but the Brucella suis swine species is much much more pathogenic and virulent for humans than the canine species is.

If you are suffering from any other immune compensating disease syndrome from drugs or other diseases, brucellosis is deadly no matter what the species is though.

That looks like one huge animal - how much did that thing weigh?

I've heard - no clue - but if the wild pigs exceed 225 pounds it becomes iffy. I'm wonder if in this case it would be different due to diet ...

Anyone have a rule of thumb on size and when eating becomes questionable? I've always heard they get pretty rank.

We've used the meat from hogs well over 325 lbs. before. It really just depends on how you prepare the meat (rub, marinate, seasoning, etc.) as well as the type of meat (ham, ribs, loins, etc.). In the cases of some of the bigger ones, we usually turn them to sausage and season with whatever our desired flavor is (Cajun, italian, etc.). The meat doesn't get rank unless the animal was sick or the meat isn't processed or frozen quickly after dispatching them.

WOW... what a pig...LOL.

When I put a hog on the ground... I quickly cut off it's front and hind legs quarters off...feet off as well... then cut out the back strap... and leave the rest laying right there...leaving the FUR HIDE ON.

Hose it all down at home... build a hardwood fire in one side of the smoker... place the furry haired meat in the other side of the smoker...hide upward... keep the fire-smoke-heat going for 18 or so hours at around 200-300 degrees average... when you can twist the leg bone in the meat... pull off the hide and enjoy the BEST MEAT you EVER PUT INTO YOUR MOUTH.

If you don't believe me... then stop on by for a taste.

Back