What sounds for a newb?

cashton

Thought about an e-caller but I also love the idea of hand calls...I think I'd like to start with hand calls and maybe do an e-caller later or maybe never at all. Anyways, at a minimum (money issues), what sounds would I need to get started?

I'm debating getting the full set from Carver Calls which no doubt is the most economical, or just a couple really nice custom calls for a little more. Thoughts? This will be for eastern (WV) coyotes if that matters at all.

I'm no expert and I have no experience in WV but I'll try to give some advice. I have several Carver calls and each one of them have produced. That is certainly an option for you and a good one. Another option would be to pick up some of the custom calls from the makers in the custom call section. Most of them IMO sound and respond better making it easier to learn how to call. Closed reeds are easier to pick up but open reeds are a little more versatile. You definitely want to learn the basics, rabbit and pup distress. There are hundreds of you tube how to videos. All you have to do is replicate the sounds and at some point you'll develop your own style.

So probably an open reed howler and either a closed or open distress call to get started? Seems like with those two you can do most of the basics and then add on for more specialized sounds later. I do like the idea of the custom route as well. I'm really drawn to the stuff I see being made by Crooked Creek Custom Calls but I'm not set on any one maker yet. I'm definitely open for suggestions on who to contact for these first two calls. I don't need/want anything exotic, just a good sounding nice looking work horse call that won't set me back a ton of money.

Those two will absolutely work for you to get started. Something to keep in mind is that you can do a pup distress and even howls (which I don't suggest howling until you know what the different vocals mean and possible responses) on most open reed distress calls. With a with a dedicated howler you'll gain volume and usually better tones. I personally have calls from quite a few makers. Be warned, once you start buying calls it is an addiction.

Back