Warm Hunting Boots

Originally Posted By: Yote Yoda USMCSocks are just as important and I use good wool sock liner and merino wool rag socks. I like the Muck Artic Pro Boot and Lacrosse Pac Boots.

I remember real well a day about 20 years ago when Yote Yoda and I went out coyote hunting. It was one of those days that only half insane people try to hunt. Frozen snow covered the ground, wind about 20 miles per hour with a wind chill of about -10 degrees. Old Yoda had a pair of heavy insulated leather boots from Cabelas that he was real proud of when we went. I sat out in the open with my Refrigerwear and pack boots, never even a little cold. Yoda was under the cut bank in front of a brushpile to break the wind, and his feet nearly froze off. You have to avoid tight boots when not moving like that. It sure didn't take him long to return those things to Cabela's and he has worn good pack type boots ever since.

Yup Alaska really ain't got much on Northerner Alberta as far as cold. . We r having unusually warm weather right now. Usually we have mid 40s below in November. I don't think its hit 20 below F this winter so far.
For anyone trying or using Bunny boots or black " Mickey mouse " boots. . Keep the valves closed!!! And double lace them where it says to.
The black ones are rated for-20F and the white ones are rated for-70° . If your wearing Pac boots make sure you pull the liners out and dry them. Wet liners =froze feet. .

I wear the pronghorns and they are great for about an hour in -0 temps but if I am going to set longer than that I wear my lacross ice kings which are the warmest boot I have found but they suck if you are walking a long ways. I also found the sock is just as or more important than the boots

I haven't gotten to the Muck Boot yet. . Next boot I'm going to try out are the N.E.O.S.. I just need to find an insulated hunting boot with a high arch and non metallic safety toe. Something with 800-1200 gram insulation. Since I wear pacs and bunny boots 6 months or more a year. My arches take a beating by spring. [beeep] bunny boots have a pretty good arch. My feet have a very high long arch.

Last edited:
I tried to order some sock liners from Cabella's and they are on backorder. I wanted some for muzzle loader season that opens this Sat. Guess I'll have to tough it out.

Jahtijakt Air Tex got a pair to try out so far they do a decent job of keeping my feet warm when sitting in a steel hang on stand sat almost 5 hours in temps hovering around zero degrees. They have good ankle support and are fairly light weight. Is there an all day sit in a steel or aluminum stand all day boot? I haven't found one yet. My feet were chilly but not frozen cold when I finally called it a day to go partake of Thanksgiving dinner. After I wear them a bit longer I will write up a review in the Other Equipment forum.

Jahtijakt

Originally Posted By: Hotrod1968I tried to order some sock liners from Cabella's and they are on backorder. I wanted some for muzzle loader season that opens this Sat. Guess I'll have to tough it out.

Have you tried BAMA Sockettes. They really do work great. And you can get by with a mid weight sock against your skin and then the Bama sock over it.

I've always had problems with cold feet too. I started using the HotHands toe warmers and they make a big difference. They are adhesive on one side so you can stick them to the bottom of your socks or inside your liners. I prefer sticking them to the liner as they don't tend to ball up on you when you are walking.

I also have a set of boot blankets I can roll up in a pack to carry in. I haven't used them hunting predators yet but for late season stand hunting they are fantastic.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458 I haven't gotten to the Muck Boot yet. . Next boot I'm going to try out are the N.E.O.S.. I just need to find an insulated hunting boot with a high arch and non metallic safety toe. Something with 800-1200 gram insulation. Since I wear pacs and bunny boots 6 months or more a year. My arches take a beating by spring. [beeep] bunny boots have a pretty good arch. My feet have a very high long arch.

Try the Dr Scholls arch inserts. I have several different types of arch supports as I had planters factitious for a while and my arches were killing me until I started to use the inserts in my tennis shoes.

I'm wanting some nice warm boots that are waterproof and that can slip on easy and off easy. Im wondering if the MUCK boots might work in that aspect. But I've gained some weight in the middle and it's hard to bend over to tie my shoes these days.
frown.gif

Also I want some boots that I can take off before getting back into the truck so as to help warm my feet back up and not get mud all over the inside of the truck. Lace up boots from Rockey And Wolverine is what I'm wearing now when hunting but I have to unlace them to take them off and put them back on.

How do you guys keep your truck clean? Maybe the places you hunt don't have muddy fields to walk across. The area I hunt has some wetlands mixed in with grassland and some high ground and I never know where I'll have to walk though some wet spots.

So I'm wondering about the Muck Boots. I found this thread by doing a search for "Muck" in here.

Tried the sock liners and smart wool socks today from Cabella's while out muzzle loader deer hunting. They seemed to help sat in 6" of snow and feet didn't get cold but then again it was in the low 20's but I believe they did help because my feet would of gotten cold before.

As for socks I used to wear Smart Wool and had to wear their thin sock liners then the Smart wool over them, thought they were great till I put on a pair of Alpaca socks. As I am allergenic to wool, but with the Alpaca socks, I don't need a liner and day after day use the same sock, I hang them by the stove at night and it's good to go the next morning. Wash them in a cold water with a mild detergent (hand wash only) and hang to dry. You won't regret it. As I sit in a deer stand many times from dark till dark it helps to have something warm on the feet.

Reaper and Coyotehunter, I hear you but I think we have it made compared to some of these guys, I mean 20-70 below 0. There can't be any mud in those conditions. I can't even imagine what that feels like.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Originally Posted By: gumboot458 I haven't gotten to the Muck Boot yet. . Next boot I'm going to try out are the N.E.O.S.. I just need to find an insulated hunting boot with a high arch and non metallic safety toe. Something with 800-1200 gram insulation. Since I wear pacs and bunny boots 6 months or more a year. My arches take a beating by spring. [beeep] bunny boots have a pretty good arch. My feet have a very high long arch.

Try the Dr Scholls arch inserts. I have several different types of arch supports as I had planters factitious for a while and my arches were killing me until I started to use the inserts in my tennis shoes.

I'm wanting some nice warm boots that are waterproof and that can slip on easy and off easy. Im wondering if the MUCK boots might work in that aspect. But I've gained some weight in the middle and it's hard to bend over to tie my shoes these days.
frown.gif

Also I want some boots that I can take off before getting back into the truck so as to help warm my feet back up and not get mud all over the inside of the truck. Lace up boots from Rockey And Wolverine is what I'm wearing now when hunting but I have to unlace them to take them off and put them back on.

How do you guys keep your truck clean? Maybe the places you hunt don't have muddy fields to walk across. The area I hunt has some wetlands mixed in with grassland and some high ground and I never know where I'll have to walk though some wet spots.

So I'm wondering about the Muck Boots. I found this thread by doing a search for "Muck" in here. I like to keep my truck clean also. I bought some rubber backed short pyle carpet runners (rugs) and cut them to lay over my trucks carpeting. Pressure wash them to clean.

Yup, water turns into a flat level spot ya can drive a dozer on. Mud turns into rock. Any boots that easy to get on and off pump cold air to your feet with every step. With our normal winters I get a glacier on the floor of my truch that usually lasts for 6 weeks to 2 months. And I have a good heater in my truck.

Have a pair of Cabela's Pinnacle's. Some reported leakage. Mine have always been warm, dry, and easy to put on with the side zippers.

I do not sit and call often so mainly need warm hands, best combo for warmth and trigger feel, nomex flight gloves and windproof insulated mittens.

Back