Sources for .204 Ruger Brass and why's it so hard to get?!!

Bill C.-sbio

I'm awaiting the arrival of a .204 Ruger barrel for my Contender rifle.

While the wait is going on, I'm aquiring what I need to be ready to shoot it as soon as it arrives.

A few weeks ago I received a good supply of .20 cal. bullets.

Last week a set of Dies showed up.

But so far, I'm unable to find any .204 Ruger brass from any of the the 3 major suppliers (Winchester, Hornady, and Remington) or from their vendors.

So far I've tried Midway and Widener's, two major component suppliers I've always been able to rely upon.

The ONLY place I routinely see this brass available from is eBay Auctions and they're all a rip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

So what's going on? Why's this stuff so TOUGH to get?!! It's not like it just came out last week! (How long has it been "out" now?)

I'm only looking at getting 200-300 rnd.s right now, maybe a little more later, but the mentioned amount should "hold me" for awhile...

What's up with this?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Ya gotta be quick at Midway, they had it in stock thursday.....With so much demand for it, it doesn't take long for them to run out. Check with Huntington's...

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases.html

Ooo...ouch! Looks like Huntington's has it...I'm thinking they can KEEP it! They're almost as bad as eBay!

Ya know, big cartridge factories, like Remington and Winchester should be able to produce this stuff by the TONS per day!

It would seem to me that a few day's production should be able to fill the pipeline pretty well.

I mean by "big demand", it sounds like every other gun owner's just run out and bought a .204 Ruger?!! And then you've gotta imagine that all of them RELOAD to boot?!!

I think not! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There's something pretty "artificial" going on about this whole thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

One reason I think the .204 Ruger brass is so tough to get is those greedy folks who sell it on E-bay. They snap up every casing they can lay their greedy hands on and auction it off at way over the fair market value. This practice would NOT be continuing if buyers were not willing to pay those premium prices. By paying those exhorbitant prices, they are perpetuating this greed frenzy. If the greedy E-bay sellers would get stuck with thousands of casings or if the bids would only go up to the $15 to $16 per 100 casing range, I think there would be more brass available for the rest of us. Just my theory though.

Like some other posters mentioned, you have to VERY FAST on the draw to get brass from Midway USA. Get on their e-mail notification list so they e-mail you when the brass come in to them--but better than that--check their Web site several times a day. Sometimes the e-mail notification comes in the day after they receive the brass and they are sold out by the time you read the notification.

I was told that they had something like 130,000 pieces of brass to sell in this last batch!!! I had put my request in to be notified by e-mail when they received more brass, but just happened to be cruising their Web site on May 27th and by chance checked whether they had WW .204 Ruger brass in stock. They had it in stock and I ordered 300 casings. The next day, the 28th, I received e-mail notification from Midway USA that they had some brass in stock. Had I not "discovered" that they had it in stock the night before, they might have been sold out by the time I received the notification. I believe they sold out completely some time on the 28th.

Be vigilant and you shall be rewarded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

It is called "futures trading", well sort of, not exactly the same. These people who are taking actual delivery are sticking their necks out even further than futures traders who never take actual delivery.

I expect this bubble to burst pretty soon.

Just buy the minimum amount of brass you need right now and wait. The speculators are driving up production and soon it will excede the demand. Right now speculators are sucking up excess production but that will not last long.

Jack

I have to thank a most gracious reader of this site who came to my rescue on this.

A forum reader, who had purchased a "nice" quantity of brass earlier this year, e-mailed me and offered to sell me the amount I needed at the cost per 100 that he'd paid for it.

He knows who he is, and I thank him very much for this!

There are some great people here!

Bill;
On the Huntington site, I noticed that there is no quantity after 204 Ruger!
Does that mean that they want $25.18 for 20 brass?

I can buy loaded ammo here, either 32 or 40 grainers for $15.50! The 40 grainers aren't any good in my Encore! The 32 grainers group at .330 inches!

Chuck White-- No, I believe that is the price per 100 casings. However, why would you want to buy Hornaday brass when they have Winchester brass listed at their Web site?

U204A----------- .204 Ruger ------------- $16.35

That's a bit steeper than what Midway USA asks per 100, but if you have to have the brass and if Huntington has it available and Midway doesn't--what's a body to do but pay the price?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back