Best powder for the .204 Ruger???

I use 8208 in my Tac20. At 26g I'm getting just under 4000 fps in a 22" bbl wth 35g Bergers. Accuracy is 1/2 MOA , and I use the same load whether it's 0F or 110F. Should work great in your 204

I have only owned two 204s. One factory and one custom. I tried many different powders/charges in each. R10X was notably the most accurate of the bunch for both guns.

My 204 R15 VTR likes just about any combination outside of 40gr Vmax. It really likes 45gr Hornady Spire Points and 32gr vmax's. Powder doesn't seem to affect it much. H335, IMR 4895 and CFE 223 seem to cycle the rifle very consistently. I'd start with H335 because it meters so well and venture out from there. There never seems to be much 8208 floating around in TX.

lots of powders will work up a nice group but the only powder I can get over (or even close to) the factory velocity is vhitavuori N-540. 40 gr nosler balistic tip @ 4024 26" barrel

I helped a friend work up load for his .204 R15 and Benchmark worked well.
Also was another powder that he had, an IMR product in a light blue colored metal can that when opened, smelled like rotten eggs..I don`t recall what # it was but it did have good results even against my thoughts of pitching it and starting with fresh powder.

Pretty much a hair splitting exercise. There are probably 6-8 powders minimum, and it's very easy to find a combination that you can cover three shots with a dime with at 100 yds.

Back