Remington SPS Tactical in .223, what are your thoughts

I am looking to buy the sps tactical in .223 for a new truck gun, I haven't found much in the way of reviews so here I am asking for some honest opinions and hopefully an overview from someone that has this gun. Thanks in advance

Awesome rifle,i love mine.
Mine rides in a HS Precicion stock / atlas bipod
20 MOA base
TPS rings
Leupold VXL 6-20X56
It loves hornady 75 grain bthp + 24.4 varget

Yep,,, ^^^

Perfect for the truck.

I had one of the first ones released (12 twist). It was, and as far as I know still is, a shootinsumbitch.

Great starter rifle as well, in the 9 twist, if you reload you can work up good range loads in the 69 smks and decent huntin rounds in the 55 gr range. I haven't tried anything lighter, and don't intend to. Drop it in a new stock and get a quality trigger and scope and you'd be good to go. That's the route I went with that rifle, and there is no reason for me to rebarrel this one, it shoots too good for me. Haven't taken it in the field much, mostly range and steel but man it's had 900 rounds through and still shooting good.

I have heard bad reviews on the finish on the sps tacticals due to rust issues, but I cannot vouch on that. I don't leave it in vehicles and I don't bang it around. It has served me well and been a great investment.

I have one of the early ones with a 1/12 twist and while it limits me to a maximum of a 60gr bullet, the accuracy with a HS Tactical stock allows me to compete in some of the local benchrest shoots and hold my own with the guys that run much higher quality rifles/rests...I do run a 32x optic on mine against their 36xs...

While the HS Tactical stock is probably a little heavier than what you would want for a "truck" rifle, with a little tweaking (bedding and free floating) on the original stock, you should probably find a high degree of satisfaction with it..If yours has a 1/9 twist barrel, you can still shoot the lighter weight bullets and will not be limited to the 60gr...

One of the least used rifles I have. Nothing wrong with it, thought they were kind of cool when they first came out. Rubber Maid Houge stock would be good to beat around in the truck. Don't see the need or advantage of the heavy short barrel if your only going to get off 2 or 3 shots.

They were around $599 which was way overpriced.

Just curious as to why a rifle in 223 in Colorado? Why not an AR if your going with that caliber?

Make sure it's not one of the ones that have a recall on them. Check the remington website as to how to identify those rifles. Takes about 12 weeks to get the recall done.

I think it's a decent rifle though I don't own one. As said, change the stock and trigger and it is probably very accurate.

Though I don't own one I did buy an SPS VS Stainless in .22-250. Wasn't very accurate till I changed the 2 items mentioned. Now it will shoot with some good accuracy.

I have one that I put in a Manners stock and badger bottom metal. I bought it used on here to have GAP rebarrel it, but decided to shoot it before sending it in. Glad I did! I can say it is more consistently accurate then half of the full custom guns I have owned. 77gr SMKs on H4895, is a solid 1/3 of an inch gun and 1/2 with my pdog 50 vmax load.

Originally Posted By: HogstirMake sure it's not one of the ones that have a recall on them. Check the remington website as to how to identify those rifles. Takes about 12 weeks to get the recall done.

That may be true if you send it back to Remington. However, another option is an authorized Remington repair center if one is close by. A friend took 3 of his 700's to one and all it took was a 1 hour drive and about 20 minutes per rifle. He made the appointment about 2 weeks in advance.

Sorry for the late response, been BUSY at work. I did pick up said rifle, but have yet to get to the range with it. It seems to be a good choice, I am just questioning the stock but I will probably take everyone's advice and put it in a different one. I saw some responses to this rifle liking the heavier bullets, would you guys care to share some of your load recipes? Thanks for all the advice & responses

I love mine. Got rid of the rubber stock as soon as I could afford it. Went with the bell and Carlson medalist a2 it's a bit heavy at 8.2 lbs but it's not like a pack it up into the mountains. Strictly a coyote gun. Did a little home-made camo job to it next up is a trigger then a supressor amd I'm done lol.

It will out shoot me so it stays!

Due to my work schedule I have been unable to get to the range. Can I get some load recipes from some other gun owners. I know that not all loads will work in different guns, I am just looking for a good starting point and to see what components i.e. powder, bullets, etc are working for other guys. Thanks in advance.

I bought one a few years ago from Sportsman's Warehouse in Columbia, SC. I got lucky.

Mine shoots extremely well. I put it in a b & c varmint/target medalist, and installed a Timney trigger.

I only shoot handloads, and it shoots 5 shots with anything I have .75 or less at 100 yds all day.

My best group was .32 with 5 shots at 100 yds using benchmark and 55 gr Nosler varmageddon tipped bullets. I have to look at my load book to see what else I have that has worked well.

On a good day the rifle is a 1/2 moa at 100 rifle consistently from sand bags. If I do my part.

Right now I have an SWFA SS 12x mil/mil scope on it.

Forgot to mention I did bed the stock with Devcon steel epoxy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Song_DogginI love mine. Got rid of the rubber stock as soon as I could afford it. Went with the bell and Carlson medalist a2 it's a bit heavy at 8.2 lbs but it's not like a pack it up into the mountains. Strictly a coyote gun. Did a little home-made camo job to it next up is a trigger then a supressor amd I'm done lol.

It will out shoot me so it stays!

Dead on, Song Doggin, I have one in .17 Fireball, junked the stock, put a Bell and Carlson on it, Luepold scope and a Jewell trigger, its now my favorite chuck rifle. Nice lookin rifle,love the camo job..

Last edited:
Back